And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

So what's a good ratio of vodka-martini mix for the perfect martini? 2-1? 3-1?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

sbr

Quote from: Josephus on December 31, 2011, 12:44:24 PM

Martini mix?  I have no idea what that is.  Do you mean the dry vermouoth?  In that case no less than 5-1.  And stirred not shaken.

Josephus

Yeah, I meant what's the best ratio mix of vodka and martini (dry vermouth).

Thanks. 5-1 seems about right. I've read recipes of 3-1, and that seems too meh for me.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josephus on December 31, 2011, 12:44:24 PM
Depends on your taste.  If you like it ultra dry just use the vermouth to wash the ice.  When I worked in a bar I was told the story of one famous heavy drinker, possibly Churchill, who'd let light shine through the vermouth bottle into the mixer and that was enough.

However if you mean 'perfect' as in 'sweet' and 'dry' then 5-1, but the 1 should be half sweet vermouth and half dry vermouth :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Josephus on December 31, 2011, 02:36:57 PM
Yeah, I meant what's the best ratio mix of vodka and martini (dry vermouth).

Thanks. 5-1 seems about right. I've read recipes of 3-1, and that seems too meh for me.

1-0.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

1-0 is just a shot, not really a martini. Really what I've done is I've thrown some ice cubs into my shaker, filled up with Stoli till there was an inch or so left and then put in the vermouth. Came out nice.

Admiral Yi

You chill it and put it in a martini glass with some garnish and it's a martini.

Capetan Mihali

I don't like martinis, but dry vermouth is the thin green line that separates your classy cocktail from straight booze.

The original martini cocktail was 1:1 gin and vermouth; even as late as the early 40s it was 2:1.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

I love Alton Brown, as goofy as he is.

Ed Anger

His show on the tres leche cake got my wife to make one. Delicious.

Plus he loves guns.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

I like the end of year editorials by the NYT's disunion blog, especially this one.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/a-sad-fearful-raging-year/?smid=fb-disunion

QuoteAnother year has been added to the ages of human existence; a sad, fearful, raging year swells the wild stream of history, – a year replete with some of the most terrible and revolting scenes of human passion, and some of the grandest scenes of human virtue. It is a year that has seen foul treason rear its head in the midst of peace and plenty .... But the New Year opens with hope; with rebellion gasping for its life; with the iron hand of the military and naval power of the land upon its throat. It opens upon new ideas of progress, with new aspirations for future national grandeur, with new developments of social and political truths. It opens with a confidence that this "land of the free," shall take its place again as the banner nation in the march of civilization. It opens with a higher appreciation of the rights of man.
- The Hartford Daily Courant
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point