And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Habbaku on December 22, 2011, 01:01:57 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 22, 2011, 10:41:10 AM
Wait what? You now work as a waiter? And only because you curried in a favor? What the fuck, man?

Work's work, and I applaud Ide for getting a job in the first place.

That being said, he should, of course, still be trying to get a job with his degree or consider getting a degree in something else that isn't psychology or sociology.

Art history! Literary theory! Or my old favourite - Anthropology! :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on December 22, 2011, 01:03:37 PM

Hey, it worked for Indy :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

waiter? And only because you curried in a favor? What the fuck, man?

You know it is tough when you have to ask the Greeks for favors.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on December 22, 2011, 02:04:53 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 22, 2011, 01:12:50 PM
SS Uniform Critique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aLJUocaDYw0
:lol:

Wasnt Hugo Boss behind the designs of the SS uniform?

Not sure if he designed them, but he produced uniforms in the Third Reich, yes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2011, 12:12:43 PM
So who will you end up throwing the contract to?  :)

Well, in my mind, Macallan beats Courvoisier VSOP but that's one big box of chocolates.   :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: Ideologue on December 21, 2011, 10:55:27 PM
Well, I'm employed.

Minwage back of the house staff at some Greek family's restaurant, obtained upon the recommendation of a pal.  And this after I recited a brief history of their hometown to them.  Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the parts where Thebes kicked their asses with superior tactics and weaponized faggotry.

Wait what? You now work as a waiter? And only because you curried in a favor? What the fuck, man?

Welcome to America.

No, not even a waiter.  You might recall that I was a manager (albeit very junior, and hourly) at my old restaurant too.  The point is I was at least a waiter, and all of my experience was front of the house except inventory and spot checking when I'd open as a manager.

Anyway, making salads would be a lot easier with charts or at least explicit numbers and weights instead of some ghetto dude saying "WATCH ME."

Gotta go back in a few.  Want to take a nap.  It's no big deal, but my body's not used to restaurant work anymore. -_-

All that said, it's not a terrible gig, except by pay/prestige/hours expected/all conventional measurements.

Quote from: ValmyYou know it is tough when you have to ask the Greeks for favors.

They already owe me several million Euros.  I don't even know how that happened.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

That being said, he should, of course, still be trying to get a job with his degree or consider getting a degree in something else that isn't psychology or sociology.

Yuck yuck yuck.

I doubt loan money would be forthcoming after sinking $120k into law school.  But if it brightens Malthus' day of posting on Languish while billing $400 for an hour of PMPRB work that took ten minutes, then it was ALL WORTH IT. :bleeding:

Nah, I'm cool.  Like I told Gabby, at least I'm out of the house.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Two Communist Swedish journalists who thought that hanging out with a guerilla in Ethiopia and posing with guns was fun got convicted by an Ethiopian court. Swedish journalists are "OMG this is so horrible EVERYONE IS SHOCKED AND APPALLED" etc. But when you look at the comments regular Swedes think "fuck em, they broke the law, if two foreigners had done that shit in Sweden we wouldn't have let them go" etc.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 22, 2011, 02:41:10 PM

Yuck yuck yuck.

I doubt loan money would be forthcoming after sinking $120k into law school.  But if it brightens Malthus' day of posting on Languish while billing $400 for an hour of PMPRB work that took ten minutes, then it was ALL WORTH IT. :bleeding:

Nah, I'm cool.  Like I told Gabby, at least I'm out of the house.

You aren't getting the joke - anthropology was *my* undergraduate major.  ;)

And $400 per hour? I hesitate to say what they bill me out at, but it is rather more than that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Thanks for clarifying. :P

Nah, I know anthro was your UG major.  I should have been a biologist. :(
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Be sure to make some excellent "cheezebugye, cheezebugye" jokes Ide.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 22, 2011, 02:09:17 PM
Not sure if he designed them, but he produced uniforms in the Third Reich, yes.

I prefer to imagine he was the designer to dictators.  It makes a better story at parties.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Here's hoping this year hurrys up and finishes, not one of the best one by a long chalk; hasn't helped me having done one or two stupid things, though I guess one lives and learns.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"