News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

3.99 shipping per the article.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Is there a way to do a search within an individual thread?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

on my way home after an afternoon in Akihabara. Nowhere else in the world packs the amazingly awesome aspects of a country, and the stuff which is so bad it revokes said country's right to exist, into one  small area
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Excellent new edition of The Atlantic so far.

First article I read was a partial retraction by an economics journal editor of an op-ed piece he wrote for the WSJ in which he used survey data to demonstrate that the left is much stupider about economics than the right.  Later he came to the realization that the survey questions he based his conclusions on were all closely held beliefs of the left, so naturally the left respondents would respond the way they did and the right respondents as well.  So he redid the survey, with sacred cows from both ends of the spectrum, and found that both sides are stupid.

Second article I'm reading is about the US-Pakistani relationship.  Haven't really learned anything new (except that five ISI agents were killed by the cruise missiles Bubba launched against AQ training sites) but it is a very good overview of the situation.

On a related note: Throbby, have you been living up to our bargain?

Razgovory

I bought a savings bond for my niece for her birthday, 100 bucks.  Should come in handy when she's older.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2011, 04:32:36 PM
I bought a savings bond for my niece for her birthday, 100 bucks.  Should come in handy when she's older.

What rate is the bond paying Raz?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2011, 04:36:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2011, 04:32:36 PM

What rate is the bond paying Raz?

I dunno.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2011, 01:38:50 PM
First article I read was a partial retraction by an economics journal editor of an op-ed piece he wrote for the WSJ in which he used survey data to demonstrate that the left is much stupider about economics than the right.  Later he came to the realization that the survey questions he based his conclusions on were all closely held beliefs of the left, so naturally the left respondents would respond the way they did and the right respondents as well.  So he redid the survey, with sacred cows from both ends of the spectrum, and found that both sides are stupid.

Ugh.  Centrism.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2011, 05:41:34 PMSome of like to describe that as "thinking."
It sounds like an absence of it to be honest.  'Let's call the whole thing off' isn't thinking. 

I don't know if this is centrism though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 12, 2011, 05:47:44 PM
It sounds like an absence of it to be honest.  'Let's call the whole thing off' isn't thinking. 

How in the world is the author saying "let's call the whole thing off?"  He had an academic question he wanted to know the answer to and he answered it empirically.  He didn't start from some kind of first premise such as "both extremes are equally bad."  Some times both sides are equally bad, as a matter of fact not of supposition.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2011, 05:55:09 PMHow in the world is the author saying "let's call the whole thing off?"  He had an academic question he wanted to know the answer to and he answered it empirically.  He didn't start from some kind of first premise such as "both extremes are equally bad."  Some times both sides are equally bad, as a matter of fact not of supposition.
I've not read the article so I can't judge in all honesty.  I'll read it at some point.

I think that there's a sort-of abdication of thinking in an easy split the difference centrism.  It's lazy.
Let's bomb Russia!

sbr

A flawed research method that proves something decisively is better than a proper one that ends up looking like "centrism"?

citizen k

Only zealots and idealogical true-believers feel threatened by centrism.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2011, 05:41:34 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 12, 2011, 05:38:10 PM
Ugh.  Centrism.

Some of like to describe that as "thinking."
There is nothing thoughtful about taking the middle ground for the sake of taking the middle ground.  Computers can do that.