News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

July 10th was the 1st Neptunian anniversary of the discovery of Neptune. :nerd:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 26, 2011, 10:34:35 AM
July 10th was the 1st Neptunian anniversary of the discovery of Neptune. :nerd:

You know I saw that story ON JULY 10th, and thought you were sure to post it.

The fact you posted it on July 26th however... :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on July 26, 2011, 03:47:57 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 26, 2011, 02:44:28 AM
An article made me think: how I would I go around trying to buy a cheapo house in the States from abroad?

Even as a Hungarian, I think you could buy Detroit.

They are paying people to move to downtown Detroit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

If someone was paing me decent money I would move to Alaska. Or Oregon. Maybe Southern Canada.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2011, 11:37:44 AM
If someone was paing me decent money I would move to Alaska. Or Oregon. Maybe Southern Canada.

I hear there's good money in working on a crab boat for a season or two.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 26, 2011, 11:29:32 AM
An article made me think: how I would I go around trying to buy a cheapo house in the States from abroad?

:hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on July 26, 2011, 11:44:01 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 26, 2011, 11:29:32 AM

:hmm:

It was on CNN this morning. A quick search shows this from February....
http://www.bvonmoney.com/2011/02/16/detroit-pay-you-free-homes-incentives-offers-loans/

QuoteMayor Dave Bing is trying to save Detroit by offering incentives to lure residents back to abandoned neighborhoods.

One program offers $150,000 in housing renovation money and requiring only $1,000 down to police officers who are willing to relocate to the city. Another offers college graduates $2,500 to rent and $20,000 forgivable loans to buy properties.

Potential home buyers can choose from plenty of cheap or free homes, especially in the blighted neighborhoods of Woodward Ave. and Brush Park.

And this from employers:

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9OMSEO80.htm

Quote5 employers offer incentives for Detroit living

About 16,000 employees at five Detroit-based companies will be offered $4 million in loans and rent subsidies to move in or near the city's downtown under an incentive program announced Monday aimed at rebuilding the city's residential base.

Officials with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Compuware Corp., DTE Energy Co., Quicken Loans Inc. and Strategic Staffing Solutions announced "Live Downtown." It's the second such incentive program.

"Our young, smart and energetic professionals want to live downtown and be where the action is," Dan Gilbert, chair and founder of online retail mortgage lender Quicken Loans, said in a news release. "This program will provide the opportunity for them not only to work and play in Detroit, but also live in what is becoming an exciting, technology-focused urban core."

The plan would stretch over five years and offer $20,000 forgivable loans to new homeowners and matching funds of up to $5,000 for exterior improvements to current homeowners.

Renters would receive $3,500 over two years toward the cost of a new apartment. Current renters will receive $1,000 for a lease renewal in 2011.

The Detroit Medical Center, Henry Ford Health System and Wayne State University announced the similar "Live Midtown" earlier this year.

Midtown has seen growth in home sales and small businesses in recent years, and is home to museums and cultural institutions. But that growth comes after a decade in which Detroit's population dropped by more than 200,000 people to 713,777.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2011, 11:43:13 AM

I wouldn't survive that. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2011, 11:51:56 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2011, 11:43:13 AM

Oh you'd survived but you'd be in prison after killing 8 people.

If Deadliest catch any indication, the Captains are a bunch of retards.

I wouldn't survive that. :lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger
QuoteOur young, smart and energetic professionals want to live downtown and be where the action is

Is this a euphemism? :P

Although actually that plan sounds kind of cool.  If I didn't hate the cold... hell, might do it anyway.  I have a college degree.  Although, really, if someone just offered me a reasonably well-paying job in Detroit, I'd move there.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Alaska sends each of its a residents a oil royalty check every year.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 26, 2011, 02:35:22 PM

Are they reparation payments for the whole Sarah Palin business?

ulmont

Quote from: DGuller on July 26, 2011, 03:56:45 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 26, 2011, 02:35:22 PM

Are they reparation payments for the whole Sarah Palin business?

For that, Alaska would have to send each of the non-Alaskans a check every year.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 26, 2011, 11:42:40 AM
PowerPoint Uber Alles. A 100 slide Army powerpoint:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/60579101/Final-Slides-SecArmy-Visit

Someone worked day and night on this. The man deserves a Bronze Star.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.