News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Thomas: Of course Thomas is conservative. It was written by a priest and idolises good old fashioned steam trains over nasty modern diesels.

Heavy metal illness: I posted an article about the same thing happening in Norway years ago.
██████
██████
██████

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 27, 2011, 08:44:58 PM
Swedish Onion or are they really that nuts?

They are.

They really are.

Slargos

QuoteEmployment Service wrote in a declaration, inter alia, that Roger has a "social medical disability" and that he should "disability is coded to facilitate a return to work."

It also points out that Roger has hearing problems.

Hard Rock Comforter Roger now has funktionshinderkod 81st

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Something I'd nearly forgotten about, 'Desiderata', it appears scribbled on the backs and insides of many of my early school books, or at least a truncated version, all that a 10 year old boy could remember.

My version  goes " Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.  As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here."

The somewhat strange thing is, in many respects, his still sums up my outlook or way of being :gasp:

You can take the hippy out of the 60s (ad.exec/baby boomer) , but you can't take the 60s out of the child.  :P  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 28, 2011, 08:09:22 PM

Yes, MiM I'm familiar with the full version, I just was wondering why I picked it up as a kid, must have the been fault of some hippy teacher in the very early 1970s, though I could conceivably have heard it in school as early as late 1968, dang I'm old.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

It's my great-grandmother's 102nd birthday today and she is doing fairly well for a lady of her age. I always find it amazing that she was born when Wilhelm II was emperor and that she once saw president Hindenburg in person when he visited her hometown.

Syt

You should match her with Johannes Heesters.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Zanza on July 29, 2011, 03:45:37 AM
It's my great-grandmother's 102nd birthday today and she is doing fairly well for a lady of her age. I always find it amazing that she was born when Wilhelm II was emperor and that she once saw president Hindenburg in person when he visited her hometown.
That's awesome. :cool:

Yeah, my great grandmother lived to be 100 and she used to talk about Blackjack Pershing all the time.  I think she had the hots for him... she named one of her sons 'Jack Pershing' after him even.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

wow!

Grey Fox

Last day of work before 5 weeks of leave :)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

:cheers:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Well, this is it for my desktop. Shutting it down in 30 minutes then tonight I'm dismantling it for inter-continental transportation. :(
██████
██████
██████