News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Ide, it's a Fantasy, not a serious alternate history. Just roll with it.

As for the Zeppelins, looking cool is that point. That's why they needed the 5th columnists, to take out the air defenses.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Tonitrus

MadBurgerMaker

Tonitrus

MadBurgerMaker

Ideologue

Question for anyone who knows--does a sonic boom and the associated visual shockwave around an aircraft dissipate following acceleration past the speed of sound, or travel with it indefinitely?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadBurgerMaker

You mean the vapor cone?

Edit: This thing:

If so, IIRC, once it goes fully supersonic, I don't think the cone/s is/are visible anymore.  IIRC, the "boom" doesn't necessarily stay with it either.

Ideologue

Yep.  I was looking for some footage of it, and wasn't able to find any that wasn't ambiguous. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Ideologue on July 14, 2011, 11:37:40 PM
Yep.  I was looking for some footage of it, and wasn't able to find any that wasn't ambiguous. :hmm:

Like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttDG3NJUDVQ&feature=related

That one is cool, you can hear both booms.

Ideologue

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 14, 2011, 11:39:23 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 14, 2011, 11:37:40 PM

Like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttDG3NJUDVQ&feature=related

That one is cool, you can hear both booms.

Yes!  Well, that answers that question. Thanks. :)
Kinemalogue

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Ideologue on July 14, 2011, 11:40:19 PM
Yes!  Well, that answers that question. Thanks. :)

Fo sho. Now I'm watching videos of supersonic planes.  ^_^  You know, come to think of it, I don't recall seeing the vapor cone on the space shuttle this time around.  It didn't occur to me when I was watching the launch, but it must've been while it was in the clouds.

Tonitrus

Tamas

Quote from: Ideologue on July 14, 2011, 10:59:49 PM
Question for anyone who knows--does a sonic boom and the associated visual shockwave around an aircraft dissipate following acceleration past the speed of sound, or travel with it indefinitely?

God damn soviet (and I guess Hungarian) pilots used to play around in our airspace when I was a kid. It was loud.

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: