News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

:lol:  I'm such a lazy douche.  I went and bought an $8 16oz coffee cup (it says GRANDE 16 OUNCES on the side so I'm sure about the amount of liquid in it) from Starbucks so that I would only need two cups to empty my french press, and they would both be perfectly full. 

Now all I need is to go get a Mac laptop of some sort and sit around sipping from my stupid coffee cup while continuously referring to it by it's complete name, and I'm all set.   For some reason, "XPS M1330" just doesn't roll off the tongue. :P 

As a side note, I was sitting here putting off work of any sort and listening to/watching music videos on YouTube (and drinking coffee heh), and realized the Foo Fighters are rapidly approaching 20 years of existence.   Whoa.

Also, Bang A Gong is still an awesome song.   The original version, that is. 

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on April 26, 2011, 10:46:26 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 26, 2011, 10:44:33 AM
I won't deny the fetish appeal of a sadistic babe in an SS uniform ... but this thing about SUPER GIANT ARTILLERY has Freudian implications better left to the likes of Slargos.  ;)
When I was in high school, I had a physics teacher who annoyed me.  A friend and I, as part of a project, calculated how much force was needed to fire a 1,000 ton artillery shell from Berlin to Paris.  He was: not amused.  I didn't think about his Jewishness before we decided to do the project. :Embarrass:

Should've told him to be a mensch and realize that the same amount of force is required to fire a shell from Paris to Berlin. :yeah:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: LaCroix on April 26, 2011, 04:37:14 PM
i've been sort of wondering throughout the semester if my professor of rise and fall of the third reich would at all mention kursk, but uh, apparently nope. stalingrad and more stalingrad, with a sentence on moscow and leningrad

Then your professor is a bit inept.

Quote from: NeilExcept we know that wouldn't have worked, because we know that strategic bombing isn't really all that useful from a military standpoint.  Not only did the dive bombers have an effect on battles, but they were also much less resource-intensive than a useless strategic bombing campaign.

On the contrary, we know that strategic bombing was highly effective from 1944 onward: in addition to its direct effects (Ploesti especially), the bomber exhausted and destroyed the Luftwaffe by extending the battle zone across most of the Reich.

Whether the Germans would have been better served with ten thousand Uralbombers is, I think, an open question.  They weren't very good at strategic bombing, as the Blitz showed.  But a campaign against Baku, the infrastructure that connected Siberian supply centers with the front, or the Siberian supply centers themselves would have been interesting to see.

I agree that if the production of strategic bombers took resources away from ground attack aircraft, then it would probably be a net loss.  But German aircraft production was always an ugly mess, and could have been far greater than it was.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

Quote from: Ideologue on April 26, 2011, 06:15:46 PMThen your professor is a bit inept.

the rise isn't bad, but the fall seriously suffers. he glosses over way too much and throws out strange inaccuracies every now and then. it's an easy grade

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on April 26, 2011, 06:15:46 PM
On the contrary, we know that strategic bombing was highly effective from 1944 onward: in addition to its direct effects (Ploesti especially), the bomber exhausted and destroyed the Luftwaffe by extending the battle zone across most of the Reich.
Surely the losing battles that they were fighting on every front would factor into the the exhaustion and destruction of the Luftwaffe?
QuoteWhether the Germans would have been better served with ten thousand Uralbombers is, I think, an open question.  They weren't very good at strategic bombing, as the Blitz showed.  But a campaign against Baku, the infrastructure that connected Siberian supply centers with the front, or the Siberian supply centers themselves would have been interesting to see.
The Blitz wasn't really a coherent example of strategic bombing though, as the Germans kept changing their objectives.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2011, 10:43:13 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 26, 2011, 10:38:18 AM
Unpossible.  There is no need for any other than Ilsa the She-Wolf of the SS. :wacko:

I once considered writing a story about a group of U.S. soldiers in the Ardennes coming across a secret research installation with undead Nazi werewolf cyborgs.  :blush:

I think the Sci-Fi channel stole that idea.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 26, 2011, 07:54:31 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2011, 10:43:13 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 26, 2011, 10:38:18 AM
Unpossible.  There is no need for any other than Ilsa the She-Wolf of the SS. :wacko:

I once considered writing a story about a group of U.S. soldiers in the Ardennes coming across a secret research installation with undead Nazi werewolf cyborgs.  :blush:

I think the Sci-Fi channel stole that idea.

I think I saw that movie.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 26, 2011, 05:07:09 PM
My CC weapon. :weep:
It's a good carry weapon, dude.  But not a good weapon for offing yourself if you're being plagued by Nazi Scientist Timmies.  You have to be SURE to get the job done... head's gotta come clean off. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 26, 2011, 07:57:27 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 26, 2011, 05:07:09 PM
My CC weapon. :weep:
It's a good carry weapon, dude.  But not a good weapon for offing yourself if you're being plagued by Nazi Scientist Timmies.  You have to be SURE to get the job done... head's gotta come clean off. :(

Hell, I don't even have to draw the damn thing. Thugs in parking lot? Push jacket back and put hand on weapon. They find something else to do.

I could put a wood block in the holster.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

It's shocking how you don't have any laws in the US.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on April 26, 2011, 10:40:45 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 26, 2011, 10:37:25 AM
Funny 'cause it's true.  :hmm:
Can you imagine waking up every morning in the Fueherbunker to a bunch of goddamn articles from Der Spiegel taped to your door with one word comments like "alarmiert! monströs! schrecklich!" written on top of them... with no further commentary!?  I would have double-offed myself too.  Poor guy. :(
If we're down in the bunker wouldn't those articles be pretty much accurate?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

We won the trivia night at the Aussie pub for the second time yesterday, even though we had only a mediocre score of 14/20, but then again we were only three, as three of our team mates had had to cancel. I was pretty happy that "No.5 1948" was painted by Jackson Pollock and which baseball player married Marilyn Monroe. I was embarrassed that I didn't know that Brian Warner = Marilyn Manson.

We won a couple Australian beers, a shirt, a bottle of Australian wine and a poster. It's not a huge prize if you win, admittedly and it's more about bragging rights. ;)

However, the waiter then asked if we were there by car. One of us was, so the waiter disappeared and came back with a crate of 24 Aussie ciders as bonus. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2011, 10:29:07 PM
which baseball player married Marilyn Monroe.
You had to guess! Any baseball fan should know this!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 26, 2011, 11:50:20 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 26, 2011, 10:29:07 PM
which baseball player married Marilyn Monroe.
You had to guess! Any baseball fan should know this!

I didn't have to guess. I was the only one in the pub who knew it, though. I didn't get bonus points for giving his jersey number, though.
:(

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on April 26, 2011, 06:09:29 PM
Should've told him to be a mensch and realize that the same amount of force is required to fire a shell from Paris to Berlin. :yeah:

You're discounting elevation and wind velocity. :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?