News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 13, 2024, 03:24:58 PMIt's not great coffee to be sure.  I think even McDonald's has better coffee.

Didn't McDonalds buy or otherwise take over the company that used to provide Tim's coffee (and thereby "steal" Tim's previously great coffee)?

I'm pretty sure I heard something like that more than once....

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 13, 2024, 03:39:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 13, 2024, 03:24:58 PMIt's not great coffee to be sure.  I think even McDonald's has better coffee.

Didn't McDonalds buy or otherwise take over the company that used to provide Tim's coffee (and thereby "steal" Tim's previously great coffee)?

I'm pretty sure I heard something like that more than once....

I've heard that as well.  Quick googling suggests it's partially true - McDonalds started using the supplier (Mother Parkers) that TH used to use, while TH started roasting coffee in-house.

Which is not to suggest that McD is fabulous coffee - just better than TH.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

I should've put "great" in quotation marks, I guess. But I've certainly heard a number of people claim that "Timmy's coffee used to be great and now it's not." But I don't know whether they assessment of coffee is actually correct.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on September 13, 2024, 06:29:13 PMI should've put "great" in quotation marks, I guess. But I've certainly heard a number of people claim that "Timmy's coffee used to be great and now it's not." But I don't know whether they assessment of coffee is actually correct.

You hear the same about Starbucks. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I wonder whether it actually changed or just grew and became very familiar.
In my memory Burger King and McDonald's used to be great - but over time they've become less and less a few times a year in a big city thing and more basic anytime you want crap.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

McDonald's reacted to Starbucks phenomenal growth by becoming a coffee shop and leaving the child friendly aesthetic behind. It's also a corporation that is very good at adapting to local taste.

Does UK McDonald's have Wraps?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Sheilbh

Just read about the protests in France in support of Gisele Pelicot - and then about her story. Just horrendous - and jail seems to good for her husband.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on September 13, 2024, 06:29:13 PMBut I've certainly heard a number of people English Canadians claim that "Timmy's coffee used to be great and now it's not."
Correction.
:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Crazy_Ivan80

Orlinski is amazing. What a voice.
('t was his first performance in Gent today).

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 14, 2024, 03:06:02 PMJust read about the protests in France in support of Gisele Pelicot - and then about her story. Just horrendous - and jail seems to good for her husband.

What shithead! I thought that weirdos like him were just made-up fodder for bad books.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on September 14, 2024, 09:15:08 PMWhat shithead! I thought that weirdos like him were just made-up fodder for bad books.

That would be nice. Sadly, some humans are just broken. See for example the tragic, heartbreaking ordeal of Sylvia Likens: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Sylvia_Likens
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

So a thing I noticed in Valencia was that almost all bars, cafés, restaurants had QR codes instead of menus. I guess it makes sense - don't need to print out menus every time it changes, only the website. Is this common now? Haven't really seen it in Vienna.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on September 15, 2024, 07:22:52 AMSo a thing I noticed in Valencia was that almost all bars, cafés, restaurants had QR codes instead of menus. I guess it makes sense - don't need to print out menus every time it changes, only the website. Is this common now? Haven't really seen it in Vienna.

In London it's been like this basically everywhere since the start of covid. Increasingly popping up elsewhere too, saw it a few times in Switzerland when I was there last month, though quite rare round here.
It's pretty annoying. Especially dumb in touristy areas where you can expect people not to have any data.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah it was really common with Covid (also places with multiple language versions of the menu). I think normal menus are back in most places now but some still on QR codes.
Let's bomb Russia!