News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on February 20, 2022, 08:21:03 PM
Question: on the chart, Richleau does somewhat better than Bismarck, even though both have the same number & size of guns (8 times 15 inch). What's the extra factor at work here? Better targeting control?

Higher muzzle velocity on the French gun and greater explosive power.  The tradeoff is higher barrel wear (and thus increasing inaccuracy over the life of the barrel liner).  This chart doesn't account for the early dispersion (i.e. much higher salvo impact area) of the French gun, not solved until postwar.  It assumes constant 5% hit rates between guns, which certainly isn't true for the French gun in the war, because it never got fully tested and worked up.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on February 20, 2022, 08:26:56 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 20, 2022, 08:21:03 PM
Question: on the chart, Richleau does somewhat better than Bismarck, even though both have the same number & size of guns (8 times 15 inch). What's the extra factor at work here? Better targeting control?

Higher muzzle velocity on the French gun and greater explosive power.  The tradeoff is higher barrel wear (and thus increasing inaccuracy over the life of the barrel liner).  This chart doesn't account for the early dispersion (i.e. much higher salvo impact area) of the French gun, not solved until postwar.  It assumes constant 5% hit rates between guns, which certainly isn't true for the French gun in the war, because it never got fully tested and worked up.

Thanks!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Bismarck! Sink the Bismarck! And have a yabba-dabba-do time. A dabba-do time.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on February 20, 2022, 01:35:52 PM
Just saw a report on Republic Srpska, the Serb-part of Bosnia-Herzegovina. Looks like the next war brewing in Europe...  :(

Yeah, things have been going politically sideways in Bosnia for the last few months. I've been meaning to post about it but for some reason or the other never got to it...

Basically, the balancing scheme that has kept Bosnia somehow united the last few decades, based on the three communities (Bosniaks, Serbs and Croats) working together in a pseudo-federal state, seems to be on the verge of collapse, due to the Republika Sprska moving away from the scheme and little by little building their own pseudo-national institutions, with a view towards separation from Bosnia and unification with Serbia.

Bosniaks and Croats have traditionally been opposed to this (it's not the first time that Republika Sprska stirs shit up in the B-H arrangement), but recently a Croatian party (no idea about their level of support) came up in support of an eventual dissolution of the current B-H arrangement, with Croats also going their own way, and in the last few years there have been rumblings behind closed doors in the governments of other former Yugoslavia countries about how the B-H arrangement seems to be coming to an end and a peaceful resolution to it should be sought.

The proposal that had been secretly floated in one of the so-called "non-papers" that were drafted on the issue last year called for a peaceful dissolution of B-H, with each community going their own way, and eventually the Croat one would join Croatia, the Republika Sprska would join Serbia and a rump Bosniak state would be left alone.

Other proposals being debated for the area in those "non-papers" dealt with a possible unification of Kosovo and Albania.

If anyone wants to read a bit on the "non-papers": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Balkan_non-papers

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Kyle Rittenhouse says he plans to sue Whoopi Goldberg and others for calling him a murderer. :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on February 22, 2022, 01:08:56 PM
Kyle Rittenhouse says he plans to sue Whoopi Goldberg and others for calling him a murderer. :rolleyes:

Maybe he'll hire Sydney Powell as his lawyer.  And then they televise her deposition of Goldberg.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Very fun interactive map of Victorian election violence in England and Wales (from individual, incident, disturbance, riot) :lol:
http://victorianelectionviolence.uk/interactive-map/

Excited to discover that in my area in 1910 the successful Liberal candidate was almost attacked by a mob of his own supporters and had to be protected by the police. And the 1852 incident when two men attacked a committeeman of one of the candidates (who they voted for), because he'd promised to pay for refreshments if they voted the right way and then went back on the deal <_<

In my mum and dad's area after the declaration of results in 1880, "there was much rioting", as "Fordington roughs" attacked voters wearing Conservative colours (stil blue). The "pelted electors with mud, smashed windows of shops, overturned Conservative carriages, damaged the homes of prominent Conservatives and injured many individuals." They also tried to force their way into the Conservative candidate's offices. Military had to be called in and the riot act was read.

Edit: It is very funny just going round and clicking on literally any incident for how riotous everywhere was - from a random small North Welsh town in the 1885 election :lol:
QuoteIn Gwytherin, some Radical 'lambs' (roughs) took part in riotous conduct, smashing windows and doors of the rectory. They also threatened to 'kill the old tory' in reference to the Rector.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Happy National Engineer Week to the forums engineers!  Here's an IEEE quiz to determine what type of engineer you should be.

(Of course I got Electrical.)

Valmy, have you gotten your PE?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2022, 02:18:58 PM
Yep! Back in 2019.

Congratulations; is Texas like Michigan (and Florida) where you're a licensed engineer; or do they do it that you're a licensed electrical engineer (California and New York do it that way)?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on February 23, 2022, 02:18:26 PM
Happy National Engineer Week to the forums engineers!  Here's an IEEE quiz to determine what type of engineer you should be.

(Of course I got Electrical.)

Valmy, have you gotten your PE?

QuoteYou are a Manufacturing Engineer
Manufacturing engineers are involved with the process of manufacturing from planning to packaging of the finished product. They work with tools such as robots, programmable and numerical controllers, and vision system to fine tune assembly, packaging, and shipping facilities.

Er... I'm a nuclear engineer/physicist. The quiz doesn't appear to be entirely accurate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

I got Nuclear Engineer.

That's funny.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

And I got Mechanical Engineer. I'm a Manufacturing Engineer so something is indeed amiss.