News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quiz for the US residents (although non-US residents could just pick a metro area to be from):  Are you in the middle class.

(This being the United States, "Middle Class" is based solely on money.  The British concept of class being related to how comical one's accent is is foreign to us.)

Anyhow, yes, I am in the middle class for Melbourne Florida.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Habbaku

Solidly middle-class for the Atlanta-Sandy Springs area.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Iormlund

Sav, how much would a senior auto Manufacturing or Mechatronics Engineer make in, for example, central Alabama?

The Larch

Mechatronics sounds awesome, like out of some sci-fi movie or anime.

Savonarola

Quote from: Iormlund on February 11, 2022, 03:20:44 PM
Sav, how much would a senior auto Manufacturing or Mechatronics Engineer make in, for example, central Alabama?

Glassdoor has that sort of information. Here's senior engineer in the automotive industry in Birmingham Alabama.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

I've just learned a French taco place is opening not too far away. I do quite miss them as trashy as they are. Same chain as is common in Switzerland too...
And... Oddly.... The same prices if not more expensive than Switzerland :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: Savonarola on February 11, 2022, 03:26:56 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on February 11, 2022, 03:20:44 PM

Glassdoor has that sort of information. Here's senior engineer in the automotive industry in Birmingham Alabama.

Thanks.

We have a plant in the area, and according to those numbers I would fall quite comfortably on high income tier doing my job over there. Then again, I'm sitting at the 90 percentile here as well, so I guess it's no surprise.

Iormlund

Quote from: The Larch on February 11, 2022, 03:22:31 PM
Mechatronics sounds awesome, like out of some sci-fi movie or anime.

It does sound awesome. And it's great fun if you're a nerd. Basically playing with robots and shit. Doesn't pay as well as what I do now, though.

I made more as a starting junior Manufacturing Engineer than my most senior Mechatronics Engineer colleague did when I was in that role (before my German adventure).

mongers

February 13th - Will be World Radio Day , so get ready for a lot of fun tomorrow:

https://en.unesco.org/commemorations/worldradioday
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Went to bed timely yesterday. Woke up early-ish, but was awake and couldn't go back to sleep. Gut feeling said it's 5 something, so not unusual; I normally wake up between 5:30 and 6. I tucked in a bit more to maybe catch some extra sleep (it's Saturday, after all!) but couldn't.

Checked the time.

3:19 a.m.

Motherfucker.

So now it's 6:44 a.m. and a lunch time nap is probably required today.

How's your Saturday morning? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on February 12, 2022, 12:44:58 AM
Went to bed timely yesterday. Woke up early-ish, but was awake and couldn't go back to sleep. Gut feeling said it's 5 something, so not unusual; I normally wake up between 5:30 and 6. I tucked in a bit more to maybe catch some extra sleep (it's Saturday, after all!) but couldn't.

Checked the time.

3:19 a.m.

Motherfucker.

So now it's 6:44 a.m. and a lunch time nap is probably required today.

Dragged myself out of bed at 10 because I have social obligations.   :(

grumbler

Leapt out of bed at the crack of noon.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on February 12, 2022, 11:20:46 AM

Leapt out of bed at the crack of noon.

Good man. I plan on doing that tomorrow, or maybe I'll sleep in.

Syt

I don't think I've ever slept till 10 am, unless I was sick, or went to bed at 5 or 6 am (and even then probably not). :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Syt on February 12, 2022, 12:44:58 AM3:19 a.m.

Woke up again today at THE EXACT SAME TIME.  :mad:

Fortunately I managed to turn over for some extra Zs this time.

Also, I knew Kelsey Grammer is a conservative, but Mar-a-Lago? Come on, man. :(

—Stephen Jay Gould