And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Omgwtf.

Noymt rinsing is extremely disgusting.

Otherwise my grandmothers did use two bowls or later one sink one bowl or even later the two "compartments" of the kitchen sink to do washing and rinsing without running water. I just keep the water running.

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on February 14, 2022, 06:22:59 PM
Of course now I just rinse dishes off and put them in the dishwasher, so no tub required.

You can skip that step (the rinsing), too with modern machines. Rinsing is a waste of water and actually makes the machine function worse.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Ok - yeah I don't necessarily rinse items :ph34r:

Clean them and then straight on the rack.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on February 14, 2022, 05:51:08 PM
My girlfriend got irrationally upset over the washing up bowl and demanded we wash dishes in the stupid lazy student way.
Seems she isn't alone in this. All foreigners think washing up bowls are weird?

https://citymonitor.ai/economy/what-the-great-british-washing-up-bowl-says-about-the-economy

What is the stupid lazy student way?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Leave the tap running - and waste water <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Oh. That's the right way.

Admiral Yi

I do the lazy student way.

Teh Bowl is common in Korea and Japan in my experience.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

In my teenage years I once spent 78 days straight washing up in an Italian restaurant:

I use a bowl, washing off the worst food residue with running water, then I wash clearest items first and ending with pans/saucepans, rinsing in plenty of cold water as I go, leaving them to drain and dry naturally.   :bowler:

Never ever used a t-towel to dry anything, as it's a highly unsafe thing to do, reintroducing lots of bacteria onto your clean washing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 14, 2022, 06:58:54 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 14, 2022, 06:55:43 PM
Oh. That's the right way.
It's a waste of water :o

Always relative. There's cubic meters of water in solid form outside my window right now.

Jacob

Quote from: Habbaku on February 14, 2022, 06:29:34 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 14, 2022, 06:22:59 PM
Of course now I just rinse dishes off and put them in the dishwasher, so no tub required.

You can skip that step (the rinsing), too with modern machines. Rinsing is a waste of water and actually makes the machine function worse.

My washing machine is old and not very good. Rinsing is necessary.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_aRPy1KVE

I found the factoid at the beginning of this lecture on option pricing interesting.  The prof claims that the cancellation of the US supercollider project in 1993 destroyed the career prospects of a cohort of quantitative PhDs, such as physicists, and they in turn went to Wall Street and created quantitative finance.

Razgovory

What is quantitative finance?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quantitative analysis is the use of mathematical and statistical methods in finance and investment management. Those working in the field are quantitative analysts (quants). Quants tend to specialize in specific areas which may include derivative structuring or pricing, risk management, algorithmic trading and investment management. The occupation is similar to those in industrial mathematics in other industries.[1] The process usually consists of searching vast databases for patterns, such as correlations among liquid assets or price-movement patterns (trend following or mean reversion). The resulting strategies may involve high-frequency trading.

Although the original quantitative analysts were "sell side quants" from market maker firms, concerned with derivatives pricing and risk management, the meaning of the term has expanded over time to include those individuals involved in almost any application of mathematical finance, including the buy side.[2] Applied quantitative analysis is commonly associated with quantitative investment management which includes a variety of methods such as statistical arbitrage, algorithmic trading and electronic trading.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on February 14, 2022, 01:26:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2022, 12:54:04 PM
I love a dominant line. What the Rams defensive front did was a thing of beauty. Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen would be proud.

Obviously sucks for the Bengals. Three Super Bowl appearances and three devastating losses. But they had the ball with a chance to win or tie at the end of the game, hard to ask for more than that. They just didn't get it done.
The Bengals played a great game except for their o-line.  Makes it easy to know what to focus on for next year, especially since Mike Brown has the franchise QB now he is perpetually obsessed with having.
Weren't they missing starters due to injury?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point