News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Semi-fun factoid from the Economist article on the relationship between Russia and Ukraine post-USSR: both Gorbachev and Solzenitzn had Ukrainian mothers and Russian fathers.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2022, 02:52:06 PM
I was browsing some old editions of the Armed Forces Journal from the 1930s. I found the "Social News" section most fascinating which seems ... well, for lack of a better description it seems like the stuff people would share on social media now. Travel plans, some personal events, dinners etc. :lol:
Yes, this was a common feature of American newspapers in those days and I've used them in my personal genealogy research.  Example of one in which one of my ancestors was mentioned:

QuoteW.Q. Blatt, who underwent a serious abdominal operation last Saturday in the Lewistown hospital, is continuing to improve each day and this fact pleases many friends.

Mrs. T.A. Summers, of Lewistown, was a guest at the home of Mr. and Mrs. E.N. Preston and daughter Gertrude, Wednesday afternoon.

Buddy Fields, Charles Glenn and James Guyler, three of Mount Union's little fellows, are quarantined at their respective homes , suffering with the chicken pox.

The above was an excerpt from the social section of the Huntington, PA Daily News, November 15th, 1935.

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on January 11, 2022, 01:39:18 PM

See. Conservatives can wear masks.

The Bob Jones ruling mentioned on the front page concerns a prohibition on interracial dating at an evangelicals university.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2022, 03:50:47 PM
Semi-fun factoid from the Economist article on the relationship between Russia and Ukraine post-USSR: both Gorbachev and Solzenitzn had Ukrainian mothers and Russian fathers.

Pretty typical in our neck of the woods.

It's the opposite for me: Russian mom and Ukrainian dad.

Josquius

Old. But I've just seen it. This is an amazing example of Russian criminality/entrepreneurship...

https://www.insider.com/russia-finland-fake-border-conman-charged-migrants-2019-12

QuoteA man arrested in Russia is accused of building a fake border with Finland 15 miles from the real one and charging migrants $11,000 to cross it

:lol:
██████
██████
██████

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Tyr on January 13, 2022, 12:16:22 PM
Old. But I've just seen it. This is an amazing example of Russian criminality/entrepreneurship...

https://www.insider.com/russia-finland-fake-border-conman-charged-migrants-2019-12

QuoteA man arrested in Russia is accused of building a fake border with Finland 15 miles from the real one and charging migrants $11,000 to cross it

Zany  :wacko:

But very Russian.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 14, 2022, 05:27:29 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 13, 2022, 12:16:22 PM

Zany  :wacko:

But very Russian.

Link says the perpetrator was "Central Asian" though. Not to mention, old news 2019. So I am a bit disappointed. :(

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 14, 2022, 08:13:08 AM

Link says the perpetrator was "Central Asian" though. Not to mention, old news 2019. So I am a bit disappointed. :(

Argh, I didn't go to the link! Still, can almost visualise this enterprising individual :)

Sheilbh

RIP Ricardo Bofill. As Tim Abrahams of the Architectural Record put it - buildings from another world :(

:mmm:

(Proposed solution to NIMBYism - if you reject developments that would increase the housing stock in your community, then there is a one in ten random chance that one of these get built there instead? :hmm)
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

A friend of mine used to live in the Walden-7 building. I loved crashing his place.

Iormlund

The cement plant turned home is my favourite work of his.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2022, 12:15:35 PM
A friend of mine used to live in the Walden-7 building. I loved crashing his place.

Was it a nice place to live in? In this country we all like to look at the homes our famous architects designed but they are usually fairly unpopular to actually live in due to all their eccentricities.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Jesus Christ - the list jokes about "dads" is now targeting my generation and some of these hit way too close to home :weep: :ph34r:
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/what-your-favorite-sad-dad-band-says-about-you
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on January 11, 2022, 01:39:18 PM

See. Conservatives can wear masks.

*twitch*

Man that moral panic attitude was everywhere in the 1980s. So glad that shit is not nearly as prevalent these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2022, 07:26:39 PM
Jesus Christ - the list jokes about "dads" is now targeting my generation and some of these hit way too close to home :weep: :ph34r:
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/what-your-favorite-sad-dad-band-says-about-you

Quite a strange mix of eras there. Pixies and modest mouse :hmm:
██████
██████
██████