News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

The country is named for the princely family, not a place. There is a castle Liechtenstein, but that is in Austria near Vienna.

Razgovory

Wait, is the family named for a place?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

There's a Palais Lichtenstein in Vienna, too (no e in Licht there).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 22, 2021, 06:40:08 PM
Astonishing factoid from Economist review of San Fransicko, about homelessness there.  Injection drug users outnumber kids enrolled in public schools by 50%.   :blink:

I thought Lichtenstein's capital was Lichtenstein city.  Did they change it?
Show me the numbers. I don't believe it
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2021, 09:48:02 PM

Yes, same as the Habsburgs, which took their name from their ancestral fiefdom and castle, currently in Switzerland. The Valois and Bourbons also took their names from the areas they started out ruling from.

Josquius

And the Oranges. Blew my mind when I discovered the existence of the town of Orange a few years back. Looks quite nice and worth a visit. 

There's an apparently crap town called Lichtenstein near the Swiss border in Germany too. Wonder what that's about.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on November 23, 2021, 05:27:53 AM
And the Oranges. Blew my mind when I discovered the existence of the town of Orange a few years back. Looks quite nice and worth a visit.

And funnily enough the town of Orange is in Provence.  :lol:

QuoteThere's an apparently crap town called Lichtenstein near the Swiss border in Germany too. Wonder what that's about.

According to wiki there are two towns and three castles named Lichtenstein all over Germany

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on November 23, 2021, 05:09:36 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2021, 09:48:02 PM

Yes, same as the Habsburgs, which took their name from their ancestral fiefdom and castle, currently in Switzerland. The Valois and Bourbons also took their names from the areas they started out ruling from.

I think it goes for many ruling dynasties. The Hohenzollerns, the House of Saxe-Coburg-Weimar, the House of Oldenburg, Nassau ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Very common on the Continent. In Sweden though old noble families are known by the family names, which are often based on their heraldic shield. Vasa, Bielke, Sparre, Natt och Dag...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on November 23, 2021, 05:38:57 AM
According to wiki there are two towns and three castles named Lichtenstein all over Germany

It means something like "bright stone", so it's conceivable that multiple places were called that. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: The Brain on November 23, 2021, 05:48:23 AM
Very common on the Continent. In Sweden though old noble families are known by the family names, which are often based on their heraldic shield. Vasa, Bielke, Sparre, Natt och Dag...

Depends on the country, in France for instance it seems to have been almost universal, with almost every house name correlating to a real place or fiefdom (except the Capetians). In the Iberian peninsula it was not that common. The Trastámaras in Castille and Aragón were named for a fiefdom, but one whose name didn't correlate to any town or castle, but to a generic geographic term (the land beyond a certain river). The Aviz in Portugal were named for a chivalric order whose 1st king was the Grand Master of. The Jiménez in Navarra were named for the surname of the founder of the house.

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on November 23, 2021, 05:38:57 AM

One is close to where I live and is a pretty spectacular 19th century "fake" built buring the romantic era (similar to Neuschwanstein or Hohenzollern).

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on November 23, 2021, 06:13:50 AM

Depends on the country, in France for instance it seems to have been almost universal, with almost every house name correlating to a real place or fiefdom (except the Capetians). In the Iberian peninsula it was not that common. The Trastámaras in Castille and Aragón were named for a fiefdom, but one whose name didn't correlate to any town or castle, but to a generic geographic term (the land beyond a certain river). The Aviz in Portugal were named for a chivalric order whose 1st king was the Grand Master of. The Jiménez in Navarra were named for the surname of the founder of the house.

Interesting. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

All the high middle age "von" names in German will reference a place of some sort. But some early middle age names do not refer to places, e.g. the Salians, Liodulfings/Ottonians, Carolingians, etc.

The Larch

Quote from: The Brain on November 23, 2021, 06:16:14 AM
Quote from: The Larch on November 23, 2021, 06:13:50 AM

Interesting. :)

In Eastern Europe the name of the most important houses followed the name of the founder, at first glance. The Jagiellon in Poland-Lithuania, the Rurikids first and Romanovs later in Russia, the Osmanids in the Ottoman Empire...

The Hunyadis in Hungary and other central European kingdoms did take their name from their ancestral castle, Hunyad, in Transylvania.