And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on November 19, 2021, 05:20:49 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2021, 02:00:38 PM
For the train fans: the menu on Czech trains. Between Prague and Vienna it's always Happy Hour, so that means a good meal for under EUR 8, and 0.5 beer from tap or bottle for 1.80. :beer:

https://www.jidelnivozy.cz/uploads/menus/foodMenu/1.pdf

I remember fondly my night trip from Warsaw to Prague back in the summer of 2005, the beer was really decent and half a litre was like less than an euro. :beer:
"What is civilisation? I don't know. I can't define it in abstract terms - yet. But I think I can recognise it when I see it. And I'm looking at it now." - Sir Kenneth Clark :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Question for the euros: Is "brunch" a thing where you live? Here in DC, the Sunday morning "DC brunch" is a practically a government institution. Dress decent, meet people for omelettes and mimosas, often turn it into a work meeting.

I personally hate it but I was just wondering if this is something that has crossed the pond (or something else similar?)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

Brunch is known in Sweden. No work connection that I'm aware of though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 20, 2021, 10:05:38 AM
Question for the euros: Is "brunch" a thing where you live? Here in DC, the Sunday morning "DC brunch" is a practically a government institution. Dress decent, meet people for omelettes and mimosas, often turn it into a work meeting.

I personally hate it but I was just wondering if this is something that has crossed the pond (or something else similar?)

No, not at all. Closest would be Sunday's "Aperitivo" (hors d'oeuvre). It's a much lighter affair than the yank brunch, though.

Duque de Bragança

Exists over here, in Paris, and I remember seeing them in Frankfurt as well, but not at all formal.

mongers

:bleeding:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

They're definitely a thing here, but they've never been related to work in my experience. Catering to the brunch set is definitely part of the business plans of many breakfast and casual dining places.

As far as I can tell, brunch is mostly a weekend affair and is often (but not exclusively) the next natural stage for people who went out partying the night before.

Syt

Brunch exists here, but certainly not for work. More as a way to meet and hang out with friends or family.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on November 20, 2021, 11:48:57 AM

Indeed.

Brunch happens when you wake up and the morning has already passed.

Zanza

We have brunch on weekends in Germany, but it's typically not for work, but to meet friends and acquaintances.

Josquius

In Switzerland it seemed to be a thing. Especially with girls. With its own mystifying rules. Rather than just a late breakfast it was a thing people liked. I don't get it
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on November 20, 2021, 01:16:03 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 20, 2021, 11:48:57 AM

Indeed.

Brunch happens when you wake up and the morning has already passed.

:yes:

And I'd add, I don't think it should ever be planned or agreed in advance.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on November 20, 2021, 01:47:54 PM
In Switzerland it seemed to be a thing. Especially with girls. With its own mystifying rules. Rather than just a late breakfast it was a thing people liked. I don't get it

Here are some of the things that make it something people like:

- you're seeing friends in a group setting, a bit like meeting your mates at the pub.
- it can be a continuation of the social events of the previous evening.
- if it's not a continuation, it can be a good way to catch up.
- it's a socially acceptable way to do a bit of day drinking, which can give the day a bit of a holidays flavour.
- it's not so early you have to give up sleeping in, but it's early enough that you still have a good chunk of the day to do whatever you need to do on the weekend.
- if you're into food you can find places that do interesting things or local things or fancy things or plain things or whatever with their menu.
- if you're someone with a largeish (or high maintenance) group of friends (or many groups of friends), brunch opens up another slot in your social calendar giving you more space to maintain your connections with less scheduling stress.
- unlike many other events on the social calendar for youngish people (especially those in the evening), going for brunch will typically not have an undercurrent of looking for hookups (or being available for hookups), which can be relaxing.

Admiral Yi

On a related note, do you Yuros have dim sum?  Very much a brunch food IMO.

garbon

Funk is just talking about some sort of niche version of a DC brunch I reckon.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.