News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on November 19, 2021, 08:39:31 AM
English language question: the whole using "they" as denoting neutral singular gender. How widespread/accepted is it? Will it look weird if I start using it in formal writing?

As Tyr notes pretty common. However, unless they updated recently, I think most formal writing standards still advise against singular they as too informal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Seems to be very uncommon in a business setting, in my experience.  Might be wise to give it a couple of years and see if this is one of those fads that passes.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2021, 08:46:36 AM
English language question: the whole using "they" as denoting neutral singular gender. How widespread/accepted is it? Will it look weird if I start using it in formal writing?

As Tyr notes pretty common. However, unless they updated recently, I think most formal writing standards still advise against singular they as too informal.

I see, thanks.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 19, 2021, 08:50:02 AM
Seems to be very uncommon in a business setting, in my experience.  Might be wise to give it a couple of years and see if this is one of those fads that passes.

Informal usage of singular they that started before we were born might be a passing fad? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Common in the vernacular, but style guides are often all over the place with it (or at least were 10 years ago).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Most commonplaces I'd use it are when either I don't know or it is irrelevant to what I'm saying.

"He saw the doctor and they told him..."
"I called the bank and they said..."

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2021, 09:01:55 AM
Most commonplaces I'd use it are when either I don't know or it is irrelevant to what I'm saying.

"He saw the doctor and they told him..."
"I called the bank and they said..."
I was thinking more of "they" as replacement for where you would use "he/she", or just "he" as default.  The first one sounds like a recent accepted use to me, the second one doesn't.  The doctor is a particular person, the bank is a nebulous entity.  Obviously you spoke with a person when you called the bank, but that person may as well stand in for the bank itself.

The Brain

Depends on the bank. Would be silly to call a sperm bank anything other than he.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on November 19, 2021, 09:28:08 AM
Depends on the bank. Would be silly to call a sperm bank anything other than he.
But your mam is a she?

:p

Sorry. I couldn't not.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on November 19, 2021, 09:34:51 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 19, 2021, 09:28:08 AM
But your mam is a she?

:p

Sorry. I couldn't not.
:wacko: That's just way over the line, you should never make assumptions about people's preferred pronouns.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on November 19, 2021, 09:25:41 AM
I was thinking more of "they" as replacement for where you would use "he/she", or just "he" as default.  The first one sounds like a recent accepted use to me, the second one doesn't.  The doctor is a particular person, the bank is a nebulous entity.  Obviously you spoke with a person when you called the bank, but that person may as well stand in for the bank itself.
Yeah I'm with G - I have used "they" for singular for a long time and I see it being used very commonly for years. For example, precisely in that example where you could use "he/she" or "he" as a default.

The other two examples are ones I'd absolutely use "they" in as Garbo does - and I don't think it would cause confusion which is what matter because I think it is pretty common. As I say all of this, for me, pre-dates any awareness of non-binary or identifying your pronouns or gender fluidity or any of those current issues. I think it is fairly common in the vernacular and I think English as a language tends to be pretty lax around pronouns and gender and plural/singular - I think it's far more important in other languages because of the way objects are gendered etc.

My suspicion - and I could be wrong - is that in part my usage may reflect an earlier fight from feminists pushing back against a default "he" and the "he/she" alternative is ungainly, so instead people adopted "they" even though it was singular and it's previously a plural pronoun. I think certainly in the vernacular and in formal business and legal writing it will shift, to the extent it hasn't already (and I think in England it broadly has precisely on the "he/she" point) because they follow the vernacular - just thinking of contract I can definitely see say "Vendor shall [...] in particular they shall..." with "they" rather than "it", I feel that's more normal now (at least in England).

Edit: And as I say this all pre-dates the personal pronoun awareneww now and has nothing to do with not assuming because I wasn't conscious of those issues. At least for me "they" is the default and always has been if it didn't really matter (in addition to "he/she" being ungainly I wonder if this is also caused by constantly getting scolded as a kid: "who's she? The cat's mother?" :lol:)
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

I didn't mean to imply that "they" was an answer to trans issues, I agree that it was an answer to the perception that a default "he" implies that all doctors are male.  I still don't hear it used in the business world, and garbon's first sentence (but not the second one) would likely sound unusual enough in that setting that I would probably notice.

Josquius

Come to think, in formal language you could be right on avoiding they.
Thinking of non-fiction books I've read, I find they often tend to switch between whether the vague human they're talking to applying their ideas is a he or she from chapter to chapter. Which....ja.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

That's more confusing than using they.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?