News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: celedhring on October 29, 2021, 01:18:40 PM
As you know, I'm writing a script that features English characters. I'm not expected to write in British dialects (the actors will introduce that), but I would really like an Oxbridge way to say "dumb fuck"  :lol:

BBC's Sherlock?  :lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

As you know, I'm writing a script that features English characters. I'm not expected to write in British dialects (the actors will introduce that), but I would really like an Oxbridge way to say "dumb fuck"  :lol:

Perhaps you can get some inspiration from the following quotation which I understand was intended to convey that meaning.  The author apparently attended Durham, not Oxbridge, but he did become a Lord so that should suffice.

QuoteAs seen from here, we really don't believe that this administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional, less unpredictable, less faction-riven, less diplomatically clumsy and inept
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Since your question implies class, I'd say what about "peasant" when said with the right level of invective.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Somebody forgot about Hastings and the Hundred Years War. :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on October 30, 2021, 06:27:30 AM

Ah yes, Churchill. Famous for his fight against the French.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Austria is experiencing severe forest fires at the moment. Italy has sent planes to help with fighting the fires.

Here's them refueling on the Danube in Vienna: https://twitter.com/LukGuen/status/1454458517495156752?s=20

:o
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on October 31, 2021, 05:12:41 AM
Austria is experiencing severe forest fires at the moment. Italy has sent planes to help with fighting the fires.

Here's them refueling on the Danube in Vienna: https://twitter.com/LukGuen/status/1454458517495156752?s=20

Touch-and-goes are not a difficult maneuver for a pilot.  Pilots in training do them all the time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2021, 07:53:52 AM

Touch-and-goes are not a difficult maneuver for a pilot.  Pilots in training do them all the time.

:hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on October 31, 2021, 08:01:55 AM

:hmm:

:w00t:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Still looks cool. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on October 31, 2021, 08:36:49 AM

Still looks cool. :)

Definitely.  Flying boats are cool in all situations.  Too bad the Italians still don't fly this one:

Bayraktar!

mongers

Flying boats are only beaten by Ekranoplans.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"