And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2021, 07:23:13 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2021, 01:14:03 PM
I don't think I've ever picked to listen to the radio since coming to England. :mellow:

:wacko:

I did sometimes while I was commuting via car. Absolute Radio was ok. Then I bought a bluetooth FM trasnmitter for my car and it's been Spotify and audiobooks ever since.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on October 29, 2021, 07:28:03 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2021, 07:23:13 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2021, 01:14:03 PM
I don't think I've ever picked to listen to the radio since coming to England. :mellow:

:wacko:

I did sometimes while I was commuting via car. Absolute Radio was ok. Then I bought a bluetooth FM trasnmitter for my car and it's been Spotify and audiobooks ever since.

Radio 4 anyone?   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Also Mono is MIA, he hasn't posted or been on Languish in nearly 4 month; CCP finally got him?

Grey Fox

Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2021, 07:33:03 AM
Also Mono is MIA, he hasn't posted or been on Languish in nearly 4 month; CCP finally got him?

His Back room thread got moderated & the long con was up.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2021, 07:46:17 AM

The long conversation?

Did he go off in a huff?

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2021, 07:56:37 AM

The long conversation?

Did he go off in a huff?
He got tempbanned and never came back.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2021, 07:58:49 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2021, 07:57:39 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2021, 07:56:37 AM

The long conversation?

Did he go off in a huff?
He got tempbanned and never came back.

Thanks.

Always sad to lose an 'alternative' voice.

I do miss him, but he was growing increasingly vile in what I think were his desperate attempts to convince himself that it's all fine with where Hong Kong was heading.

Syt

Read the other day that the bankers in Hong Kong wrote to Beijing to lower the Covid restriction on Hong Kong. Apparently, restrictions are tight, even though there's been only like 4 confirmed cases in recent months. Meanwhile, mainlanders can come in with little restrictions whereas HKers going to the Mainland have strict rules put on them (also foreigners traveling to HK undergo lengthy quarantine procedures).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on October 29, 2021, 08:54:34 AM
I do miss him, but he was growing increasingly vile in what I think were his desperate attempts to convince himself that it's all fine with where Hong Kong was heading.

:yes: His defense of authoritarian practices started off as relatively weird and I assumed were just a culture clash. But he became much, much worse as the protests continued.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

He was either a disgusting spineless authoritarian apologist all along or became one over time. In any case, good ridance.

Duque de Bragança

I will miss his defense of the statu quo in sports, and his repeated disappointments whenever it was overthrown however.

celedhring

As you know, I'm writing a script that features English characters. I'm not expected to write in British dialects (the actors will introduce that), but I would really like an Oxbridge way to say "dumb fuck"  :lol:

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on October 29, 2021, 01:18:40 PM
As you know, I'm writing a script that features English characters. I'm not expected to write in British dialects (the actors will introduce that), but I would really like an Oxbridge way to say "dumb fuck"  :lol:

I imagine watching a few episodes of Downton Abbey should do the trick? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

I'd recommend The Thick of It for modern Oxbridge :P
Let's bomb Russia!