News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 27, 2021, 01:00:54 PMI feel like it's similar in France.

And Italy, it's the Dolce Vita era after all. It makes sense, enough time has passed from the war that there's a new generation that has not suffered it and the countries have recovered and are young and exhuberant.

Sheilbh

Yeah first real youth culture - plus the peak of the post-war boom but before the challenges of the seventies.

Plus I think in Italy, France and the UK a sort of emerging national image post-war being projected into the world miles from that of the pre-war era: Dolce Vita, scooters, Grande Inter; New Wave, Tel Quel, Gainsbourg; Michael Caine, the Beatles, Bond.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Gave 1 of my cars to my nephew today. First time I only have 1 car in 10 years.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/27/r-kelly-racketeering-sex-trafficking

QuoteR Kelly found guilty on racketeering and sex trafficking charges
Jury finds singer guilty of running a criminal enterprise that recruited women and children and subjected them to unwanted sex and mental torment
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

ulmont

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 27, 2021, 05:36:14 PM
An enterprise?

I'm assuming without looking that NY takes the same definition as the federal RICO act, which basically defines "enterprise" as "anything that can do anything":

Quote(4)"enterprise" includes any individual, partnership, corporation, association, or other legal entity, and any union or group of individuals associated in fact although not a legal entity;
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1961

EDIT: NY is similar.

Quote2. "Enterprise" means either an enterprise as defined in subdivision
one of section 175.00 of this chapter or criminal enterprise as defined
in subdivision three of this section.

[1. "Enterprise" means any entity of one or more persons, corporate or
otherwise, public or private, engaged in business, commercial,
professional, industrial, eleemosynary, social, political or
governmental activity.]

3. "Criminal enterprise" means a group of persons sharing a common
purpose of engaging in criminal conduct, associated in an ascertainable
structure distinct from a pattern of criminal activity, and with a
continuity of existence, structure and criminal purpose beyond the scope
of individual criminal incidents.
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/460.10
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/175.00

mongers

Very odd to read of peoples' opinions of at time before they were born, but which one had actually lived through.

I'll not 'deal' with some of the cultural cliff-notes spouted up thread, but say I recall plenty of opportunism during much of the decade.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2021, 05:47:20 PM
Very odd to read of peoples' opinions of at time before they were born, but which one had actually lived through.

I'll not 'deal' with some of the cultural cliff-notes spouted up thread, but say I recall plenty of opportunism during much of the decade.

I remember my parents lining up for gas during the oil crisis in the early 70s.  I remember wage and price controls brought in during the mid 70s to combat high inflation.  My recollection of the late 70s was more optimism having gone through those things.  I remember having that optimism dashed in the 80s when things got hard, governments cut back and it seemed the world was going to blow itself up.  The governments of the past were to blame, so went the mantra most of us bought.  Thatcher/Reagan had the answers.  But of course they didn't.  To paraphrase  Laurel and Hardy - another fine mess they got us into.

Admiral Yi

It was poker night at the Regal Beagle and I overheard a funny poker joke.

"Poker is a terrible game.  The only people who play are morons and cheats, and I don't cheat."