Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on September 28, 2021, 09:49:33 AM
What the hell is this?

Far right wing weirdo in US wants to make a truly true series about the Celtic Celtics (not Celts!) to show how they really were. Mostly seems to contain "muh speech!" and "purity of race" stuff.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 28, 2021, 07:02:20 AM
Reading a story about Facebook and online ads. It said about how all of us have had the weird or embarrassing algorithm stories - but then had the story of Melissa Edwards, 38, from London who lost her twins for months into her pregnancy. She continued to receive maternity-related ads for months and said she basically ended up repeatedly googling "miscarriage" in the hope that it would sort of shift the algorithm away from constantly showing her baby ads.

Which is just incredibly sad - an accidental cruelty built into someone's life every day :(

As I understand it, that's a pretty common complaint. It's certainly something I've heard (in media) about more than once over the last many years.

Jacob

Was looking through some old stuff and came across a 5 1/2" diskette labelled "Wizardry" :wub:

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2021, 10:19:57 AM
Was looking through some old stuff and came across a 5 1/2" diskette labelled "Wizardry" :wub:

Does it run? :w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

I don't know... I think I'd have to find a DOS machine with a disk drive to find out....

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2021, 10:26:10 AM
I don't know... I think I'd have to find a DOS machine with a disk drive to find out....

:yeahright: And you are typing this on what exactly...?

Eddie Teach

Dunno about him, but I'm on an Android.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2021, 10:19:57 AM

Cool. Go level up on some Murphy's Ghosts

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2021, 10:18:31 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 28, 2021, 07:02:20 AM
Reading a story about Facebook and online ads. It said about how all of us have had the weird or embarrassing algorithm stories - but then had the story of Melissa Edwards, 38, from London who lost her twins for months into her pregnancy. She continued to receive maternity-related ads for months and said she basically ended up repeatedly googling "miscarriage" in the hope that it would sort of shift the algorithm away from constantly showing her baby ads.

Which is just incredibly sad - an accidental cruelty built into someone's life every day :(

As I understand it, that's a pretty common complaint. It's certainly something I've heard (in media) about more than once over the last many years.
Data science is a brave new world.  There is so much potential in it, but also so much danger due to both widespread incompetence as well as lack of ethical guidelines.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on September 28, 2021, 12:01:37 PM
Data science is a brave new world.  There is so much potential in it, but also so much danger due to both widespread incompetence as well as lack of ethical guidelines.
And this is accidental - nothing like the online gambling companies which I understand are one of the most active hirers in the UK for data scientists :(
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 28, 2021, 12:02:59 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 28, 2021, 12:01:37 PM
And this is accidental - nothing like the online gambling companies which I understand are one of the most active hirers in the UK for data scientists :(
Ugh.  I think any data scientist whose work includes optimizing the exploitations of people's addictive behaviors is no better than a marketing expert working for tobacco companies.  Same goes for Facebook data scientists working on making sure that Syt's sister clicks on the next imbecilic meme with an ever greater fervor.  They may have an innocuous explanation, like most such people do, but they've clearly traded ethics for dollars.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on September 28, 2021, 09:54:42 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 28, 2021, 09:49:33 AM
What the hell is this?

Far right wing weirdo in US wants to make a truly true series about the Celtic Celtics (not Celts!) to show how they really were. Mostly seems to contain "muh speech!" and "purity of race" stuff.

How can you do an entire series about the Celtics without a single reference to Larry Bird?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson