News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Florida Man threatens to destroy everyone with an army of turtles.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

How many people have an army of turtles?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Splinter? So at least one person.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: ulmont on September 20, 2021, 03:20:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2021, 11:59:50 AM
I bought a waffle iron last week.  tasty, tasty waffles.

Here we come a-waffling
Among the leaves so green;
Here we come a-waffling
So fair to be seen.

A fellow California Raisin fan!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xENMDMFjnA

Damn, there is no reference too obscure for Languish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Splinter fought turtles. Now, Bowser otoh...

Doh, mixed up with Shredder. Still, 4 ain't an army.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on September 20, 2021, 03:24:57 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2021, 03:22:11 PM
Waffles are nice and fried chicken is nice enough but I will never understand how they go together.
I agree with you on that, with the exception that chicken and waffles topped with peas and gravy is pretty good.  But topped with typical waffle toppings (syrup, butter), it's weird and I don't like it.

Never heard of putting butter on waffles and chicken. Actually never heard of putting butter on waffles period.

Admiral Yi

Read in an Economist article about Dominic Raab that he is "by training a human rights lawyer."  I've heard this job title mentioned other times, most notably in Bridget Jones' Diary.

What exactly do they do?

More importantly, who pays their bills?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2021, 05:27:46 PM
Read in an Economist article about Dominic Raab that he is "by training a human rights lawyer."  I've heard this job title mentioned other times, most notably in Bridget Jones' Diary.

What exactly do they do?

More importantly, who pays their bills?
They are litigators - in the US they'd probably be constitutional lawyers, but we don't have constitutional rights. So it's normally linked to public law which is about the conduct/behaviour of the state but using human rights legislation domestically and internationally, rather than, say, more narrow public law concepts like acting beyond their powers or unreasonably. I imagine paying their bills is similar as in the US for constitutional lawyers.

So domestically human rights law would cover challenging unlawful retention of DNA and fingerprints on police databases, acting for protesters, challenging MI6 for blocking publication of a former employee's memoir, suing on behalf of victims of police violence etc.

There's also international human rights law - which is what Raab did - but that's a little bit more rarefied.

I also think it's wrong to say he is "by training a human rights lawyers" because from my understanding he trained at Linklaters :lol: He did secondments with Liberty (a bit like the British ACLU). I think by training he was a trade and competition lawyer (largely EU and WTO) but then became a Foreign Office lawyer and they like you to move around so I think he ended working in the Hague and doing more international human rights law (from the perspective of the UK Foreign Office).
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 20, 2021, 05:19:21 PM
Waffles are nice and fried chicken is nice enough but I will never understand how they go together.
I agree with you on that, with the exception that chicken and waffles topped with peas and gravy is pretty good.  But topped with typical waffle toppings (syrup, butter), it's weird and I don't like it.

Never heard of putting butter on waffles and chicken. Actually never heard of putting butter on waffles period.

Pancakes too. You just enjoy dry things, like your tomato-less burgers.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 20, 2021, 06:26:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 20, 2021, 05:19:21 PM

Pancakes too. You just enjoy dry things, like your tomato-less burgers.

Pancakes makes more sense.  Maple syrup on waffles is all you need.  But the addition chicken is a good bonus.

Grey Fox

My challenge results.

QuoteFlorida Man Arrested For Running Naked Through Walmart Parking Lot
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2021, 03:47:00 PM
A new game sweeping the Internet. Quite fun.

Google search your birthday (no year required) and Florida man.
Greatness shall always appear.

Mine...

QuoteDeputy cleared for shooting naked man armed with crossbow who claimed aliens were after him

There seem to be no results for my 1976 birthday. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Agelastus

QuoteFlorida man tries to pay for fast food with bag of weed.

:D
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Syt

A German police woman has been put on administrative leave. She wrote romantic letters to the right-wing extremist who tried to attack the synagogue in Halle two years ago and shot several bystanders. She apparently expressed understanding for his actions and that she believed in a Jewish cabal ruling the world.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.