News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I can understand USSR-nostalgia for people who lived through or grew up in the 90s in Russia.

What's sort of striking in the economic poll is that is a factor, but also the Putin-era has discredited "private property and market relations". But, again I think that's pretty understandable given the nature that model has taken in Putin's Russia.

QuoteDunno, Putin is kinda nostalgic for the USSR, so professing love for the old Soviet Union might also be acceptable.
Although it is a bit mixed - there's nostalgia for the power of the USSR, but also strong rejection of communism or the "un-Russianness" of the soviet system.

I think Russia's relatively free in terms of people having or offering opinions or polling on an individual level - it's only if you try to organise in a way that challenges the system that you'll get smacked down.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Soviet is open to interpretation itself. NEP, Stalinist period, Kossigyn reforms, Brezhnevian stagnation or Perestroika?

Tonitrus

Sheilbh

Amazing :lol: :ph34r:
QuoteFormula One fan: 'Calm down, I'm not really your fugitive mafia boss'
Bruno Waterfield
Monday September 13 2021, 12.01am BST, The Times

The man, named only as Mark L, 54, a Liverpudlian, was mistaken by the police as Matteo Messina Denaro, above
EPA/POLICE/CORBIS

A British Formula One fan was arrested at gunpoint and taken to a Dutch high-security jail under the mistaken belief that he was a wanted mafia boss.

The man, named only as Mark L, 54, a Liverpudlian, was mistaken by the police as Matteo Messina Denaro, a fugitive who was sentenced to life imprisonment 19 years ago for bombings that left ten people dead.

He was handcuffed by elite Dutch police officers while eating lunch at a quiet restaurant in the Hague last Wednesday with his son and a friend. After being bundled to the floor he was blindfolded and despite protesting his innocence in a strong Liverpool accent was whisked off to the EBI maximum-security jail in Vught. "Suddenly there were seven cars in front of the business. Officers with guns drawn," the owner of Het Pleidooi restaurant said.

Messina Denaro, 59, is known by his underworld name of Diabolik and is considered capo di tutti capi, the boss of all bosses, for the Sicilian mafia. He is one of Italy's most wanted criminals, for murders including that of the anti-mafia prosecutors Giovanni Falcone and Paolo Borsellino in the 1990s.

The authorities refused to release the Briton, who had travelled to the Netherlands to watch the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort, despite people, including his lawyer, vouching for him.

"If my client is a Sicilian mob boss, I am the Pope," Leon van Kleef, his lawyer, said. "It's like a bad movie, a nightmare. You are having a quiet bite to eat then a bag over your head and you end up in the EBI."

The tourist spent three nights in jail as the Italian European arrest warrant did not include fingerprints. He was released on Saturday. It is thought that the authorities believe that Messina Denaro might have built a new life in Liverpool after going on the run.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Good thing they didn't Lillehammer him.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

He definitely looks like a mobster.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on September 13, 2021, 05:35:31 AM
Dunno, Putin is kinda nostalgic for the USSR, so professing love for the old Soviet Union might also be acceptable.

That said, with how the country has gone from the 90s, a lot of people are yearning for a "how things were better back when ..." like in many such cases.
These results are not surprising to me for a couple of reasons.  Russia these days has no ideology, Putin makes it up as he goes along, and it's hard to be a diehard supporter of autocratic kleptocracy.  There is also a lot of whitewashing of Stalin in state propaganda, and the idea is planted that USSR fell because it was undermined by highly ambitious and corrupt Yeltsin, not because it was a vegetable of a country by 1990ies.

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on September 13, 2021, 09:55:19 AM(...)and the idea is planted that USSR fell because it was undermined by highly ambitious and corrupt Yeltsin, not because it was a vegetable of a country by 1990ies.

And nefarious Western interference, of course.

Sheilbh

I think that's probably linked to Duque's point to because I suspect the USSR people are nostalgic for is Brezhnev stagnation/stability.
Let's bomb Russia!

chipwich

Is the Canadian Prime Minister technically minister of the treasury like in the UK?

Why isn't the Governor-General titled Exarch or Viceroy?

Sheilbh

Quote from: chipwich on September 13, 2021, 06:43:49 PM
Is the Canadian Prime Minister technically minister of the treasury like in the UK?
Not sure - but I'd guess not because I think that's just a vestige of how the office of PM emerged. By the time it was being used in Canada it had kind of taken on a shape of its own.

QuoteWhy isn't the Governor-General titled Exarch or Viceroy?
I think only India had a viceroy. My understanding is that Governor-Generals were appointed to most colonies, but in India there were also the maharajas who had sort of personal loyalty/fealty to the Queen/monarch. So in India there was one person who was Governor-General (of British India) and Viceroy (for the maharajas/princely states).
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Jesus, Shelf, do you sleep?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Quote from: PDH on September 13, 2021, 11:04:38 PM
Jesus, Shelf, do you sleep?
Actually having trouble - woke up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. Having a cuppa to maybe try and get a few more hours <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: chipwich on September 13, 2021, 06:43:49 PM

Not really no. We call the person in charge President of the Treasury Board. We don't have the First Lord / Second Lord tradition.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.