Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 11, 2021, 12:45:27 PM
Is that a Presidential Seal belt buckle?  :bleeding:

Looks like it, doesn't it? :D

I find it quite amazing how - except GWB - everyone seems to be quite pissed and/or annoyed in that picture.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 11, 2021, 12:33:06 PM
It's a bit of a drive up the road, but I have a 2015 Kia Soul (diesel, automatic) that I need to unload soon if you're interested.  :sleep:

Though I have an appointment with webuyanycar.com tomorrow...so it may not last long.  :lol:

Let me know their offer before accepting it. :P I wanted to check out Lincoln anyways.  ;)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tamas on September 11, 2021, 12:50:47 PM
It's a bit of a drive up the road, but I have a 2015 Kia Soul (diesel, automatic) that I need to unload soon if you're interested.  :sleep:

Though I have an appointment with webuyanycar.com tomorrow...so it may not last long.  :lol:

Let me know their offer before accepting it. :P I wanted to check out Lincoln anyways.  ;)

Though I would disclose...  :P

- It needs new tires
- The MOT expires in November.
- Due for its annual service/maintenance
- Has some scratches on the bonnet (not severe/deep, but covers a large area and a bit unsightly)
- But it does have a backup camera!

The online quote I got is £7500, but even if they reduce that in half when they look at it in-person, I would be inclined to probably take it.  I really need to unload it no later (or not much later) than this week. I'll see how much they cut that down...but I definitely wouldn't charge the full amount to you..Languish-bro discount would apply.

Tamas

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 11, 2021, 01:00:34 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 11, 2021, 12:50:47 PM

Though I would disclose...  :P

- It needs new tires
- The MOT expires in November.
- Due for its annual service/maintenance
- Has some scratches on the bonnet (not severe/deep, but covers a large area and a bit unsightly)
- But it does have a backup camera!

The online quote I got is £7500, but even if they reduce that in half when they look at it in-person, I would be inclined to probably take it.  I really need to unload it no later (or not much later) than this week. I'll see how much they cut that down...but I definitely wouldn't charge the full amount to you..Languish-bro discount would apply.

Thanks T, but if our car is an easy fix (which it almost certainly is) we are definitely staying with it for now, and we won't know for sure until middle of next week, I recon. So just take their offer, don't wait around for me making up my mind. :)

Josquius

Yeah, cars are exponentially going up in price.
I remember my first car 15 years ago... Cost me £300 or so. Insurance was more.
The car I have now, bought 2 years ago, closer to £3000.
Ah for a life without cars.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

You bought a car for 300 pounds?  Are you sure it wasn't 1906 rather than 2006?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2021, 03:24:28 PM

Only two of the cars I bought ever cost more than 300 quid.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on September 11, 2021, 05:19:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2021, 03:24:28 PM

Only two of the cars I bought ever cost more than 300 quid.  :bowler:

No wonder you don't like cars  :D

Sheilbh

Really interesting piece:
QuoteOne Woman's Mission to Rewrite Nazi History on Wikipedia
Ksenia Coffman's fellow editors have called her a vandal and a McCarthyist. She just wants them to stop glorifying fascists—and start citing better sources.
https://www.wired.com/story/one-womans-mission-to-rewrite-nazi-history-wikipedia/
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

If only someone on Languish had told us, repeatedly, that Wikipedia isn't a good source.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

We bought a block of mature cheddar, the packaging had in giant letters NOW WITH 40% LESS PLASTIC. Good to know we'll be eating healthier now.

Josquius

:lol:

---

At risk of this being read first a follow up to something in another thread. Just so it's noted.... £10 on "ad hom! Red card! Debate fail!" or some nonsense.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Russians pining for the good ol' days:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

If I lived in Putin's Russia and a random person asked which political system do I think is best I'd probably declare it is the current one and then hurry home via a very round about route.
Surprising results.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Dunno, Putin is kinda nostalgic for the USSR, so professing love for the old Soviet Union might also be acceptable.

That said, with how the country has gone from the 90s, a lot of people are yearning for a "how things were better back when ..." like in many such cases.
—Stephen Jay Gould