News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on September 07, 2021, 05:23:02 PM
Today I learned that the French word for lawyer (avocat) is also the French word for avocado.  I'm not sure, but I think this may reveal a profound truth about French civilization.

They're pretty close in Catalan (advocat/alvocat) and many people mix up both words. The result is that you see many fruit stores with signs selling lawyers.

celedhring

So, a Catalan bishop - ultraconservative dude, in favor of gay therapy, performed exorcisms, and shit - has recently resigned his post. He's been caught in a relationship with a divorced erotica writer.   :lol::hmm:

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

celedhring

A woman. Apparently her books deal with sadism and religion quite a bit, too.  :lol:

The Brain

A Catholic bishop caught having sex with an adult. Unacceptable to the Church.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 08, 2021, 01:17:20 AM
Yeah, it is really noticeable that Russian uses a lot of foreign words for the more complicated/modern subjects; perhaps a consequence of being behind the curve for several centuries  :hmm:

Though English also borrows words at a formidable rate or forms new ones from Greek/Latin roots.......maybe Russian is not so different.
Yeah for sure on English as equally omnivorous. I think there's also something of the people inventing/using loan words. So lots of our Greek/Latin words come in the Renaissance to describe modern concepts/thoughts - but the writers and thinkers thought of themselves as the equals to and in conversation with the classical world (while they'd consigned Anglo-Saxon England to the dark ages). So a Greek/Latin word does something (and says something about the user) that an Old English adaption can't.

I imagine it's similar with Russian - using English/German/French as sources for 19th century modernisation.

Most famous Russian loan word for us is probably вокзал (vokzal) for train station from Vauxhall station.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on September 08, 2021, 01:44:52 AM
"Aguacate" is how it's said in Spain as well, never ever heard "Palta" in my whole life.

Food slang for testicles over here is "eggs" rather than avocados. Non food related slang is "balls" instead.

Thanks, I should have remembered "Huevos" from Hemingway.  I think that's about half the dialog in "For Whom the Bell Tolls."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

Testicles are eggs in Russian as well, which frankly makes more sense than balls, given their shape.

Agelastus

Quote from: DGuller on September 07, 2021, 06:51:36 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 07, 2021, 06:33:05 PM
advogado/advogada is Portuguese for lawyer too. Surprised Russian is similar. Does Russian have a lot of Latin words?
It has a fair amount of words with Latin roots, and it also borrowed a lot of foreign words (usually French).  If a concept was introduced to Russia in the last few centuries, it probably has a foreign name for it.

I think most of the French terms in modern Russian entered the language in the Eighteenth Century - for most of the time between Peter the Great and the Napoleonic Wars the Russian Aristocracy probably spoke French more often than they spoke Russian as it was the main language spoken in Court IIRC as well as being the international language of diplomacy in Europe at the time.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Agelastus on September 08, 2021, 07:06:30 AM
advogado/advogada is Portuguese for lawyer too. Surprised Russian is similar. Does Russian have a lot of Latin words?
It has a fair amount of words with Latin roots, and it also borrowed a lot of foreign words (usually French).  If a concept was introduced to Russia in the last few centuries, it probably has a foreign name for it.

I think most of the French terms in modern Russian entered the language in the Eighteenth Century - for most of the time between Peter the Great and the Napoleonic Wars the Russian Aristocracy probably spoke French more often than they spoke Russian as it was the main language spoken in Court IIRC as well as being the international language of diplomacy in Europe at the time.

Da!  Roads turned to streets in Moscow may be  chaussée or rather "shosseh" approximatively transliterated. Think of calçada in Portugues or calzada in Castilian.

As for aguacate, cojones is way more common, though considered as vulgar, so still common in common parlance in Spain.  :D

As for avocado in Portuguese, it's abacate, through Castilian I guess so not too far from the original nahuatl.
Lawyer is advogado, as said earlier.

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on September 08, 2021, 06:50:12 AM
Testicles are eggs in Russian as well, which frankly makes more sense than balls, given their shape.

And frailty.  :P

Maladict

Quote from: Agelastus on September 08, 2021, 07:06:30 AM

Same for Dutch. Peter the Great took a lot of nautical terms back to Russia.

Syt

German, too. As in this famous interview with Oliver Kahn after a bad Bayern match where he was asked what was lacking:

https://youtu.be/JriQQkxWI9o

"Eier. Ich sag ja, wir brauchen Eier."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Testicles aren't eggs!  Quit messing with my head!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Can I offer you a testicle in this trying time?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.