News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Sounds about right.

I'm a big fan of more certainty and less discretion in sentencing - which is anathema to Canadian judges.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Interesting poll in Japan I've recently heard of.
Two questions-
1: Do you think Japan is a groupist or individualist culture?
2: Are you an individualist or a groupist?

Replies to 1- 90% say groupist.
Replies to 2- 50% say individualist.
:hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on September 06, 2021, 09:26:14 AM
Interesting poll in Japan I've recently heard of.
Two questions-
1: Do you think Japan is a groupist or individualist culture?
2: Are you an individualist or a groupist?

Replies to 1- 90% say groupist.
Replies to 2- 50% say individualist.
:hmm:

:lol:

But I think that's fair - I think a society's peer pressure on what's publicly accepted can continue LONG after the majority of individuals actually disagree with it privately. 

Sheilbh

:lol:

I suspect UK answers would be the exact opposite. 90% of people would say we're an individualist society, but about 50% would say they are groupist.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

This came to mind for me

As yeah. I think we get this in the west these days too. A big tendency for people to think they're special and above the others. Only they see the truth with their facebook memes.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I don't normally buy into the whole "decline" thing - but I do wonder what happened to our ability to do figurative statues. The Braveheart statue in its new home, a stadium in the fourth division of Scottish football :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Still better than the movie.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Perfect example of one of those times where it's a lot better than anything I could ever do but I am still well within my rights to criticise.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

It might look better once the Brain has painted it  :hmm:

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 06, 2021, 02:04:36 PM
what happened to our ability to do figurative statues

Not sure what you mean.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

A proposal to resolve the statue wars: all contentious statues are removed BUT they are replaced by statues of that person by modern sculptors.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Crazy theory: Historic statues tend to show rather life-like depictions of handsome great men.
Yet we know historically people tended to have shitty diets.
Maybe....historic figures actually looked like our modern statues and it was in the statue making process that they changed to become handsome.
The opposite happens with modern figures.

:p
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

What about the massive North Korean statues that are popping up around Africa?