News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Lately there has been a lot of military aviation activity over the Hudson.  Jet fighters flying over, what seems like surveillance planes flying over, Chinooks.  I don't recall a lot of that happening until recently, I wonder what changed.  If there were an air force base nearby, then I would think that it would be a constant thing.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2021, 08:41:44 AM
Lately there has been a lot of military aviation activity over the Hudson.  Jet fighters flying over, what seems like surveillance planes flying over, Chinooks.  I don't recall a lot of that happening until recently, I wonder what changed.  If there were an air force base nearby, then I would think that it would be a constant thing.

Big exercise going on?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Assets coming back from being in Germany/Qatar/Djibouti in case of Afghan deployment?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

For those who doubt that racism is alive and well in the UK this sentence really hammers it home....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/02/call-sentence-review-neo-nazi-told-read-classic-literature
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on September 03, 2021, 04:20:05 AM
For those who doubt that racism is alive and well in the UK this sentence really hammers it home....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/02/call-sentence-review-neo-nazi-told-read-classic-literature

Why?  Because the charge he was convicted of was "possessing a record of information likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism?"  That's not racist, that's Orwellian.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

I agree - and apparently that judge has form (some dodgy comments about Roma defendants in the past) :ph34r:

But I think there is a point here that if a sentencing judge thinks that this is just "teenage folly" (which I think is often likely - especially as teenagers live more online where they are exposed to various sorts of extremism depending on their interests and is perhaps particularly heightened during covid - Gaby Hinsliff had a good Guardian piece on this today) I feel like we do need to think of options to intervene/help. Obviously that should apply equally and I doubt it would if he was called Ahmed, but I think we do need to think about how we can socially provide an off-ramp so there's something between doing nothing and prison for an 18 year old reading the anarchists' cookbook or whatever.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on September 03, 2021, 06:12:02 AM

Why?  Because the charge he was convicted of was "possessing a record of information likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism?"  That's not racist, that's Orwellian.

Gotta agree with the grumbler here...the kid obviously seems like a racist ass in need of good smack to the noggin', but that law is a good example (in my Yank eyes) of why you Brits lack some proper freedom over here.  Especially if that can get you 15 years in the goal.

Josquius

I would say the more opposite, that it's a sign of americas lack of freedom. But hey ho. Point missed anyway.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 03, 2021, 10:31:40 AM
Say what?

It's a tribe thing. "Freedom" is a good thing, therefore even if a reduction of freedom in a certain situation is considered better it must be described as being more (true) freedom. Just like everything good = left wing and everything bad = right wing, no matter the facts on the ground.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Habbaku on September 03, 2021, 10:33:27 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 03, 2021, 10:31:40 AM
Say what?

We have to take away your freedom to make you free.

Thats the basics of how civilization works.

Though in this case not having laws agaisnt preparing for terrorist attacks= if you're doing this and brown you get snatched by men in black anyway with no legal recourse.

As said however missing the point. Shelibh got it.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

We lost Will Smith to the Brits. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

He's being more jaden than will right now.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Via Twitter - very fond of the Welsh word for cappuccino :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!