News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on July 19, 2021, 07:51:22 AM
Either you give us some practical example of this or it is going to be way too esoteric and obscure for anyone to reply to you.
Oh it's esoteric and I don't expect replies - it's why it's here not a thread.

But I was thinking it listening to Horror Vanguard which is a podcast I really like about horror films from a "leftist persepective" but what they basically mean is critical theory - and I'm not convinced that talking about say Foucault and Eyes Without A Face or Funny Games implicating us as viewers is a "leftist perspective". I think it's interesting and that's great but I don't know that they are the same thing and I wonder if that maybe reflects a slight thing on the left at the minute that cultural analysis/criticism (especially with a heavy dose of critical theory) is mistaken for "doing leftist politics" :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 19, 2021, 12:47:01 PM
Prince Harry is releasing a memoir - I mention this only because his statement about it includes the line "I've worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively" and I, for one, am very much hoping for more details about his literal hat wearing :lol:

Wow. Harry sucks at his job. Granted he kind of soft quit his job but still.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on July 19, 2021, 07:48:49 AM
A Miami booster was already offering the whole team $600 a month:
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/college/2021/07/09/miami-hurricane-players-offered-nil-deal-head-american-top-team/7919591002/

It will be interesting to see what happens when this guy finds out he cannot afford $6.5 million a year.  That's more than his company makes in profits every year.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on July 19, 2021, 01:33:28 PM
Quote from: ulmont on July 19, 2021, 07:48:49 AM
A Miami booster was already offering the whole team $600 a month:
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/college/2021/07/09/miami-hurricane-players-offered-nil-deal-head-american-top-team/7919591002/

It will be interesting to see what happens when this guy finds out he cannot afford $6.5 million a year.  That's more than his company makes in profits every year.

$600 a month for 85 players is only about $600k a year.

But in any event, there are a couple of coaches bumping up against $10 million a year in salary. What is going to differentiate programs over the next few years are how that money can be redeployed from the coaches and facilities and instead to elite player recruitment and retention, and plus player performance incentives.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on July 19, 2021, 03:53:12 PM

But in any event, there are a couple of coaches bumping up against $10 million a year in salary. What is going to differentiate programs over the next few years are how that money can be redeployed from the coaches and facilities and instead to elite player recruitment and retention, and plus player performance incentives.

You are correct.  I misplaced a decimal place there.

I absolutely agree that the booster money will be redeployed, and think that team-wide incentives are terrific.  But we know that the benefits are going to be concentrated on the few key players, so every projected backup is going to want to go somewhere else where they can be a key player.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on July 19, 2021, 04:54:41 PM

Reminds me of a story when I was articling.  An associate was asked to make an offer to settle for $10,000.00.  The offer letter he drafted had the same number of zeroes - just no decimal point. $1000000.  Unfortunately the other side tried to take advantage of the obvious error, accepted the offer and attempted to enforce the deal - the court had little trouble rectifying the amount back to $10,000

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 19, 2021, 05:02:49 PM

Reminds me of a story when I was articling.  An associate was asked to make an offer to settle for $10,000.00.  The offer letter he drafted had the same number of zeroes - just no decimal point. $1000000.  Unfortunately the other side tried to take advantage of the obvious error, accepted the offer and attempted to enforce the deal - the court had little trouble rectifying the amount back to $10,000

I think there's a term for this kind of practice... :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2021, 05:26:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 19, 2021, 05:02:49 PM

I think there's a term for this kind of practice... :hmm:

Yep, the other side was sanctioned with special costs and, if memory serves, the law society asked the lawyer on the other side to explain themselves.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2021, 05:36:43 PM
Lawyering? :unsure: :P

It's called "sharp practice".  Taking advantage of an obvious mistake by the other side is the prime example of sharp practice.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

So the one who said "yes we will take a million" were punished? Or the one who screwed up?
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on July 20, 2021, 02:29:58 AM
So the one who said "yes we will take a million" were punished? Or the one who screwed up?

The one who tried to say "you said a million, so you owe us a million LOL"... at least that's how I understood it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on July 20, 2021, 02:29:58 AM

the one who engaged in sharp practice

mongers

Jeff Bezos now confirmed as pre-eminent passenger of planet Earth. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on July 20, 2021, 07:21:34 PM
Jeff Bezos now confirmed as pre-eminent passenger of planet Earth.