News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on March 08, 2021, 01:37:16 PM
Do the other Euro Royals humiliate themselves in the media all the time? You hardly ever hear about the Royals of the Netherlands like this.
Well the previous King of Spain was kind of a fuck up, right?  Didn't he abdicate due to constant scandals?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

celedhring

Well, the biggest scandals affecting him personally didn't come to the light until after the abdication. In retrospect it's pretty clear he abdicated on anticipation of that happening.

Habbaku

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 08, 2021, 11:45:42 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 08, 2021, 10:58:43 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2021, 10:49:01 AM
Oh okay - sorry misunderstood. That is disappointing. I always assumed the Stuart line would always be the last royal house in Europe to give up their claims :lol:

It's one of those really weird situations where the supporters are far more into the cause than the supported.  :D

I believe the same holds for most of the French royalists as well, whether Bonapartists Orleanists or Legitimists.

Bonapartists are no royalists!  :contract:

Imperialists?  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Bonapartists are the only legitimate royal family of France :o :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2021, 02:09:10 PM

:bash:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

April 1st is a few weeks away.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

That is, so wrong.

So wrong.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Their legitimacy was based on their ability to produce national glory. I don't know if any of the claimants really have that in them :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 08, 2021, 03:04:42 PM

Their legitimacy was based on their ability to produce national glory. I don't know if any of the claimants really have that in them :P

Looks like this guy is the current Bonapartist pretender.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Christophe,_Prince_Napol%C3%A9on

Harvard MBA, works in private equity in London.  Meh.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

He is not the only one. There is at least one other.

But I don't think that guy, no matter how coated in Ivy League glory, can restore France to Great Power status. Maybe he should have chosen a military career or become a secret tech billionaire making robot suits to dominate the world or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

What's French for decline? :weep: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on March 08, 2021, 03:14:28 PM
Looks like this guy is the current Bonapartist pretender.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Christophe,_Prince_Napol%C3%A9on

Harvard MBA, works in private equity in London.  Meh.
Yeah I've heard of him before.  I think it's pretty neat how he vaguely resembles Napoleon, too. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 08, 2021, 01:23:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2021, 11:14:53 AM
A BBC broadcaster tweeted a picture of Archie as a chimpanzee (for which he was fired). That tells you what kind of society we live in.

One in which racism is punished? I'm not sure how The Guardian would organize society that would avoid incidents like this.

Or one in which someone can make a genuine mistake and apologise for it, even taking the backlash in his stride?

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on March 09, 2021, 03:31:03 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 08, 2021, 01:23:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2021, 11:14:53 AM
A BBC broadcaster tweeted a picture of Archie as a chimpanzee (for which he was fired). That tells you what kind of society we live in.

One in which racism is punished? I'm not sure how The Guardian would organize society that would avoid incidents like this.

Or one in which someone can make a genuine mistake and apologise for it, even taking the backlash in his stride?

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████