News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Well, calling a restaurant according to the food their serve is rather standard, I'd say  :P

The Larch

Going back to British tabloids, the case of Raheem Sterling and the treatment he received by them has to be brought up as well. The tabloids might be nasty to everyone, but they reserve a special brand of vitriol for a certain group of people.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 08, 2021, 11:08:37 AM
I do wonder how things would be if Megan was just white rather than mixed race.... And how much worse if she was black.
There is racism in there for sure but I suspect a lot of it is based on her being American.
Being an actress doubtless doesn't do her favours either. If she was just a regular American I do wonder.

It is sort of a "weird coincidence" that the wife the tabloids tackled with both legs is the black one.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on March 08, 2021, 09:59:07 AM
Lawful Evil

Makes sense with the motto Dieu e(s)t mon droit

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Habbaku on March 08, 2021, 10:58:43 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2021, 10:49:01 AM
Oh okay - sorry misunderstood. That is disappointing. I always assumed the Stuart line would always be the last royal house in Europe to give up their claims :lol:

It's one of those really weird situations where the supporters are far more into the cause than the supported.  :D

I believe the same holds for most of the French royalists as well, whether Bonapartists Orleanists or Legitimists.

Bonapartists are no royalists!  :contract:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on March 08, 2021, 10:58:56 AM
And ja. In French too cornershops are casually called Paquis.

Suisse Romande thing?  :hmm:

In France cornershops/grocery stores open very late (dépanneur would say the Québécois I believe) would be called l'Arabe (du coin).

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on March 08, 2021, 08:52:16 AM
I watched that interview. :blush:

Accusing the royal family of being racist probably isn't going to end well, even though everyone with more than two brain cells to rub together already assumed that... :hmm:

I think that's a misreading, it's not racism, just traditional Anti-Americanism.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2021, 11:40:41 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 08, 2021, 11:08:37 AM
I do wonder how things would be if Megan was just white rather than mixed race.... And how much worse if she was black.
There is racism in there for sure but I suspect a lot of it is based on her being American.
Being an actress doubtless doesn't do her favours either. If she was just a regular American I do wonder.

It is sort of a "weird coincidence" that the wife the tabloids tackled with both legs is the black one.
Also the American actress.
Would get a more solid measure of the racism with a black Brit.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on March 08, 2021, 11:38:17 AM
Going back to British tabloids, the case of Raheem Sterling and the treatment he received by them has to be brought up as well. The tabloids might be nasty to everyone, but they reserve a special brand of vitriol for a certain group of people.
Yeah - 100%. They will destroy anyone but particularly if you're black or a minority.

I get the point around comparing Kate and Meghan media coverage but my point is that I think it's wrong to view it as hostile coverage v positive coverage (maybe with some exceptions). It's more about, as you say, the level of vitriol.

And I think the other thing is you're just expected to sit there and take it, if you show any sign of fighting back - and Meghan and Harry have (successfully in the courts) - then you'll get even more. I think it's really impossible to overstate how vicious the tabloids are and, as you say, particularly if you're black or a minority and particularly if you don't just accept it and then do a deal with them. As I say my understanding is the royals in general do deals and that's how they "protect" people they want to protect - and didn't for Meghan and Harry.

And I feel incredibly sorry for someone like Meghan who comes from the outside. I know the UK tabloids have a reputation internationally but I think people really don't realise how bad they are. The worst recent example in my mind is Caroline Flack who was hounded by the media and committed suicide and it was sickening to watch the same papers suddenly do a total u-turn to how tragic it was and blaming the CPS for prosecuting her.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

And linked to that someone's just noticed that one the Daily Mail's website right now 30 of the top 31 stories are about Harry and Meghan, the other one is about Caroline Flack. They're fucking ghouls <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 08, 2021, 11:56:36 AM
Also the American actress.
Would get a more solid measure of the racism with a black Brit.

I have not made it a life study but British tabloids have always seemed pretty fawning toward American entertainment celebrities.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2021, 11:14:53 AM
A BBC broadcaster tweeted a picture of Archie as a chimpanzee (for which he was fired). That tells you what kind of society we live in.

One in which racism is punished? I'm not sure how The Guardian would organize society that would avoid incidents like this.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: mongers on March 08, 2021, 11:51:26 AM
I think that's a misreading, it's not racism, just traditional Anti-Americanism.   :bowler:
To be clear, it was Megan accusing the royal family of racism, not me. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 08, 2021, 01:23:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2021, 11:14:53 AM
A BBC broadcaster tweeted a picture of Archie as a chimpanzee (for which he was fired). That tells you what kind of society we live in.

One in which racism is punished? I'm not sure how The Guardian would organize society that would avoid incidents like this.

:console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Royals fail again. Come on guys you aren't trying to run an autocracy here, just do ceremonial shit and not embarrass yourselves.

Do the other Euro Royals humiliate themselves in the media all the time? You hardly ever hear about the Royals of the Netherlands like this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."