The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2021, 05:30:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG9rX6Ifzhw

Piers Morgan's walk off clip.

I haven't watched the whole thing.
I think the other guy comes off looking much worse than Piers here, to be honest.  This is the problem with having debates that can only have one socially acceptable conclusion: you can literally go "it doesn't matter what the facts are when it comes to accusations, it's the feelings that matter", and you're still going to look like the voice of reason.

Caliga

Right, it irritated me that he kept dismissing the second point Piers was trying to make, namely that it's simply not correct that Archie was denied a Prince title due to his race, as Meghan had implied in the interview.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

So Piers now agrees that if you're treated harshly and unfairly it's OK to just up and leave? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on March 09, 2021, 11:10:55 PM

I think the other guy comes off looking much worse than Piers here, to be honest.  This is the problem with having debates that can only have one socially acceptable conclusion: you can literally go "it doesn't matter what the facts are when it comes to accusations, it's the feelings that matter", and you're still going to look like the voice of reason.

I imagine you were not watching this Morgan guy regularly.

He was yelling at people through the camera on a regular basis, sometimes he was right, sometimes he was wrong, but always he forced his own voice and opinion over people he was supposed to be interviewing. Then ONE TIME he is challenged -in a calm, civilised manner- in a situation where he doesn't feel secure enough to force silence on the critique, and he storms off like an offended little b***. The irony is so sweet, that he could only sugar the top with posting this on Twitter this morning:

garbon

Interesting that it was the calm that set him off. Compare to a day earlier when he was aggressively attacked by a panelist who repeatedly shut him down / at one point, giving him license to speak, was acting as if it were her show. :D ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsObE9_XVr0
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

And the context with Piers Morgan is that he's spent years moaning about Meghan Markle because she ghosted him (and I think he also takes credit for sort of introducing her to Harry) and in the particular context of the last couple of days and the complaints received the objectionable thing is when he said he didn't believe her when she said she'd contemplated suicide.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on March 10, 2021, 04:06:17 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 09, 2021, 11:10:55 PM

I imagine you were not watching this Morgan guy regularly.

He was yelling at people through the camera on a regular basis, sometimes he was right, sometimes he was wrong, but always he forced his own voice and opinion over people he was supposed to be interviewing. Then ONE TIME he is challenged -in a calm, civilised manner- in a situation where he doesn't feel secure enough to force silence on the critique, and he storms off like an offended little b***. The irony is so sweet, that he could only sugar the top with posting this on Twitter this morning:

Ohh I like it. Seems a legit quote too. Flag shaggers love Churchill.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2021, 05:02:28 AM

Ohh I like it. Seems a legit quote too. Flag shaggers love Churchill.

It is priceless. After days of literally yelling at Markle and people defending her, somebody calmly tells him "you know maybe this is enough and you should not let your personal history influence things this much" and he runs off with a trembling mouth. THEN posts that quote.

Sheilbh

Really concerning story in my area of South London now. A young early 30s woman was walking home, I think last Wednesday, around Clapham Common - she was in contact with her boyfriend on the walk home - has gone missing.

There was an announcement from the Met last night that they'd arrested a Met police officer in connection with the case which they've said is a significant development in the case but the fact that he's a police officer is, they've said, "shocking and disturbing". A woman was also arrested at his property on suspicion of assisting an offender.

None of it sounds good - but I know from local press etc that this case has been really unsettling for women in the area because at this stage it just seems like a random disappearance. Especially in the context of lockdown where, you know, going for a quick walk around the park is probably borderline essential for most of us. I think there's almost nothing scarier than the idea of disappearing on the walk from the bus/tube stop to home.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2021, 05:53:01 AM
Really concerning story in my area of South London now. A young early 30s woman was walking home, I think last Wednesday, around Clapham Common - she was in contact with her boyfriend on the walk home - has gone missing.

There was an announcement from the Met last night that they'd arrested a Met police officer in connection with the case which they've said is a significant development in the case but the fact that he's a police officer is, they've said, "shocking and disturbing". A woman was also arrested at his property on suspicion of assisting an offender.

None of it sounds good - but I know from local press etc that this case has been really unsettling for women in the area because at this stage it just seems like a random disappearance. Especially in the context of lockdown where, you know, going for a quick walk around the park is probably borderline essential for most of us. I think there's almost nothing scarier than the idea of disappearing on the walk from the bus/tube stop to home.

I'm waiting till my husband is off the phone to see if there's anything about how Met ranks are feeling about this. :ph34r:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2021, 06:34:21 AM
I'm waiting till my husband is off the phone to see if there's anything about how Met ranks are feeling about this. :ph34r:

Your husband is a copper? :o Do you ... roleplay? :perv: :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on March 10, 2021, 07:10:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2021, 06:34:21 AM

Your husband is a copper? :o Do you ... roleplay? :perv: :P
I now imagine Garbon has a large collection of hoodies precisely for this reason.
██████
██████
██████