Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 22, 2021, 04:44:31 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 22, 2021, 04:20:51 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 22, 2021, 04:12:28 AM
Which ones are those? Let us be the judge of that.

"Herre", "herrn", "mästare", "mäster", "husbonn", "<academic/professional title>"... As you see they are a bit awkward and/or unwieldy.

Why is master with funny letters not a good equivalent?

It sounds dorky in modern Swedish. Granted, so I suppose can the English "master" in English, but many English speaking people seem to be fine with it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

"Herre", "herrn", "mästare", "mäster", "husbonn", "<academic/professional title>"... As you see they are a bit awkward and/or unwieldy.

Herr in German originally comes from lord (Herr über = lord of), and was a respectful address signifying subservience.

I find the shift of words for woman quite interesting in German. In the Middle Ages, frouwe (Frau) was denoting a lady, whereas wîp (Weib) was the general term for women. In modern usage, Frau is the general term, Weib is a pejorative and the word for lady is Dame, stolen from French.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on February 22, 2021, 04:50:50 AM

Herr in German originally comes from lord (Herr über = lord of), and was a respectful address signifying subservience.

I find the shift of words for woman quite interesting in German. In the Middle Ages, frouwe (Frau) was denoting a lady, whereas wîp (Weib) was the general term for women. In modern usage, Frau is the general term, Weib is a pejorative and the word for lady is Dame, stolen from French.

Yeah, inflation in these matters is enormous. In the Middle Ages a "herr <name>" in Swedish was a knight (not even all aristocrats were knighted), and now it's the lowest default title for a man. I didn't join one of the historical societies in Sweden until I got my academic title, so I didn't get registered as "herr Brain" in the members list... :blush:

Syt

In German we still use the expression "aus aller Herren Länder", which translates to "from the countries of every lord/ruler" which translates to "from across the globe", basically.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Portuguese has kept Dom (from Dominus/e if vocative), abreviated in D., for nobles only.
OTOH, the somewhat old-fashioned Dona but still commonly used to address a married woman older than oneself, from Domina (not the German meaning Danke!), noble or not.

Otherwise, its Senhor/Senhora plus whatever Academic titles Engenheiro (Engineer), Arquitecto (architect), Professor... Doutor is weird since it's not reserved to the holders of a doctoral degree, but just any post-secondary degree.
The old-fashioned vossemecê (from vossa mercê) was originally a courtesy form invented for non-nobles, or so it seems.
People under 70 or 80 would resent it nowadays, since they feel it ages them quite a bit anyways.

The Larch

One thing I like from Spanish (or at least in Spain, I think it's different in Latin America) is how we don't really give a crap about academic titles, which are quite an obsession in other countries.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 22, 2021, 07:39:30 AM
One thing I like from Spanish (or at least in Spain, I think it's different in Latin America) is how we don't really give a crap about academic titles, which are quite an obsession in other countries.
Similar in the UK and I think it's different in North America where I see lots of people absolutely saying they want to use their academic titles because they've earned it, which I understand, but is more rare here.

I also see from American academics on Twitter that their titles are used in university so they are called "Professor/Doctor x". Again in my experience that's very rare in the UK - I never had a professor that didn't use first names - and in fact it was also the norm in Sixth Form when 16-18 for "Mr/Miss/Sir" to start to be first names.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

In work environments in Sweden you use first names and no titles (unless you're communicating with foreigners who use titles). Titles are still in use in the military and when addressing royalty (I don't know the exact details regarding royalty though).

Duque de Bragança

English Wiki says the Doctor title gives (or used to give?) special deference in Spain

QuoteThe social standing of Doctors in Spain is evidenced by the fact that only Ph.D. holders, Grandees and Dukes can take seat and cover their heads in the presence of the King.

https://www.protocolo.org/miscelaneo/ponencias/raices-de-las-normas-y-tradiciones-del-protocolo-y-ceremonial-universitario-actual-las-universidades-del-antiguo-regimen-y-los-actos-de-colacion.html

That has to count for something.  :P

As for Portugal, while você may be a courtesy form, it is sometimes resented, so the tu (thou but pretty much the norm unlike English) at work may be preferred. First name basis can also be combined with an implicit courtesy form (3rd person) so there is room for accommodation, though it's less common nowadays.
Plus titles are really only used in formal settings and environments.

Syt

In Austria it kind of depends on the company. International and younger companies will be on first name basis. More conservative companies will be last name basis. Insistence on academic titles is rare these days.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on February 22, 2021, 07:44:10 AM
In work environments in Sweden you use first names and no titles (unless you're communicating with foreigners). Titles are still in use in the military and when addressing royalty (I don't know the exact details regarding royalty though).
Yeah I've never used titles in work environments either. They'll still be used in the military - but aren't used in the police apparently, I only know because I've seen ex-police officers moan about it when they're watching procedurals :lol:

I think for royalty normally you'd just use "Ma'am" or "Sir". For other titles it's very unlikely you'd use "Sir/Dame [first name]" or "Lord/Lady [last name]" in person. It's normally used in reporting. There are some people who are notorious for insisting on their title - such as Sir Ben Kingsley who is always "Sir Ben". But other's don't, Patrick Stewart doesn't use it and Sir Ian McKellen is famously nicknamed "Serena" instead :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I've noticed a tendency in my job for people with business PhD's to love to put the doctor title front and centre...and I suppose if you paid for it makes sense.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 22, 2021, 07:45:16 AM
English Wiki says the Doctor title gives (or used to give?) special deference in Spain

QuoteThe social standing of Doctors in Spain is evidenced by the fact that only Ph.D. holders, Grandees and Dukes can take seat and cover their heads in the presence of the King.

https://www.protocolo.org/miscelaneo/ponencias/raices-de-las-normas-y-tradiciones-del-protocolo-y-ceremonial-universitario-actual-las-universidades-del-antiguo-regimen-y-los-actos-de-colacion.html

That has to count for something.  :P

I can smell the mothballs from here.  :P

Josquius

If I was a Spanish doctor and was going to meet the king I would use this right to the fullest with the best mask I could find.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I would most definitely wear a Conquistador helmet. Sadly, I only have a master's degree.  :(