News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jaron

He is teaching the Engrish.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

You have to be kidding me. Tim? Korea? English?  :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Jaron

Have some faith, brah. I'm sure hes doing a good job. :)

Monoriu

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2009, 04:18:19 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 20, 2009, 04:11:02 AM
http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=1628.0

Remains weird.

Yeah, I still can't believe that he actually did that.  But the North American mind-set may actually reward him for it.   

Grey Fox

It will.

Tim did a good thing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2009, 04:05:24 AM
You have to be kidding me. Tim? Korea? English?  :rolleyes:

Surely he's the best amongst us when it comes to Engrish teaching. :P
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Well, I do recall him wanting to go there, but I never thought he'd follow it through.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jaron

Tim is quite the intrepid little explorer. :)

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 19, 2009, 06:42:33 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 19, 2009, 05:08:58 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2009, 05:06:34 PM
:lol:
True.
That's why they're awful villains really, the Russians at least hid behind the theoretically nice 'everyone will be free and equal!'ness of communism, the islamofascists though just out and out say 'We don't like you and want to kill you'

Yup, the Islamotards make crappy villains because they are in no way even superficially attractive. Even the fascists had Modernism and snappy uniforms.

I agree. Yet tons of people are seduced by it. So there must be something there.

EDIT: Wait...arent' they promised 7 virgins for eternity when they die or something? I guess the lure of spending eternity with seven chattering 12-year-olds is a lure for then. :)

It's attractive to people from their own culture as a counter to what they see as Western triumphalism.

It isn't much fun having your nose rubbed in the fact that your culture missed the boat of modernity.

It has very little attraction to people in our culture, with the exception of those who also see themselves as losing out in the modern world.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on October 19, 2009, 10:03:54 PM
And, on a special note for my main man Barrister Boy, I was the prosecution, putting a big, filthy-rich plaintiff's attorney (perhaps a native Torontonian? :shifty:) away for life on a murder rap. :hug:

Ah, the difference between fantasy and reality.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Jaron on October 20, 2009, 03:43:34 AM
Tim is in Korea, of course.

[Languish] And what does Ide think of that? [/Languish]  ;)