News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Weird.
I dropped something on my toe months ago and made part of the nail (or maybe whats under it) go black...its still black today. Damn that takes a while to heal.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Could be a blood filed blister. I had that once when I dropped something on my foot. Goes away after a while, can be messy, though, if the front part of the toe also comes off (though painless).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2009, 12:12:51 PM
Could be a blood filed blister. I had that once when I dropped something on my foot. Goes away after a while, can be messy, though, if the front part of the toe also comes off (though painless).
Hope not, I've had one of those on my stomach for 10 years or so. They don't go away.
Myeh, not that its a big deal, only part of the nail of one of my lesser toes.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

why do you have a toenail on your stomach?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2009, 12:02:19 AM
Since when are medical experts easy witnesses? :o

When they're fake and I know much more biology than they do.  Edit: more seriously, it was easier to deal with, because the questions were easier to design to be bulletproof, but still get out what I wanted.  Well-designed questions = points.

QuoteWell grats Ide.  Even if mock trials are a load of horsepoop.

Well, if I win the competition, it's $1500 worth of horsepoop, so :blurgh:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on October 20, 2009, 12:31:44 PM
why do you have a toenail on your stomach?

Mart's foot radar just went off.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on October 20, 2009, 12:33:37 PM

When they're fake and I know much more biology than they do.  Edit: more seriously, it was easier to deal with, because the questions were easier to design to be bulletproof, but still get out what I wanted.  Well-designed questions = points.

Well I certainly I do hope you win, so :hug:

BUt it doesn't take away from my fundamental point of moct trials = horse poop.  They are just so very far removed from an actual trial experience.  You just pointed to a good example.  In real life experts are a lot of hard work because they know a lot more than you do, and a lot will try and baffle you with technical BS.  So you really have to put in the work to understand the field yourself before you even open your mouth.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Why do we melt in the sight of a pretty woman?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2009, 12:44:37 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 20, 2009, 12:33:37 PM

Well I certainly I do hope you win, so :hug:

BUt it doesn't take away from my fundamental point of moct trials = horse poop.  They are just so very far removed from an actual trial experience.  You just pointed to a good example.  In real life experts are a lot of hard work because they know a lot more than you do, and a lot will try and baffle you with technical BS.  So you really have to put in the work to understand the field yourself before you even open your mouth.

Fair enough.  Money very much aside, I'm mainly in it to get speaking experience and have something, anything to put on a resume other than "actually does have a JD, believe it or not" when I'm through.  (And winning the competition would look rather good on that as well.)  It's pretty much the same reason I'm about to start teaching stupid adults how to read, represent children's interests as a guardian ad litem, and/or volunteer at the public defender's office.  Actually, that last one is real XP.

However, it's funny that you say you have to do a lot of medical research--I wound up doing some for this gig, but I really do find biology and medicine to be very interesting (perhaps moreso than law, but they don't let you into med school or a biology grad program with a history degree :P).  That kind of work would probably suit me.  Maybe I ought to be medical malpractice guy. :unsure:

Quote from: Why do we melt in the sight of a pretty woman?

We want validation from the people we would like to fuck?  I dunno, that's why I do.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

BREAKING NEWS!

Peter Cris of KISS announced that he has manboob cancer.  According to CNN 2,000 people a year get manboob cancer in the US.  Another famous person who got manboob cancer was Shaft.

Josephus

Which one is he? The drummer?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on October 20, 2009, 03:42:24 PM
Fair enough.  Money very much aside, I'm mainly in it to get speaking experience and have something, anything to put on a resume other than "actually does have a JD, believe it or not" when I'm through.  (And winning the competition would look rather good on that as well.)  It's pretty much the same reason I'm about to start teaching stupid adults how to read, represent children's interests as a guardian ad litem, and/or volunteer at the public defender's office.  Actually, that last one is real XP.

However, it's funny that you say you have to do a lot of medical research--I wound up doing some for this gig, but I really do find biology and medicine to be very interesting (perhaps moreso than law, but they don't let you into med school or a biology grad program with a history degree :P).  That kind of work would probably suit me.  Maybe I ought to be medical malpractice guy. :unsure:

No that's fait to want to do well on mock trials for resume filler.  I get that.

I just wanted to rant about them is all.  :P

And experts can be a lot of fun when you have good ones.  A long time ago on a small claims matter of all things, we had retained a PhD Engineer on metal fatigue to opine on why an engine had failed.  Defense had retained a mechanic.  My PhD was able to give me questions that helped to destroy the hapless mechanic. :menace:

Or recently I had a GP doctor for the defense trying to give essentially psychiatric evidence.  I hauled out my copy of DSM IV and just started rattling off criteria from there, asking the poor doctor if she had considered these factors.  Time after time she had to say "no" - since she wasn't actually a psychiatrist.  :menace:

Okay - enough war stories... :blush:

Barrister

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2009, 04:05:24 AM
You have to be kidding me. Tim? Korea? English?  :rolleyes:
:lol:

Where have you been? I've been here since the 6th.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.