News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2020, 06:34:32 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2020, 06:21:42 AM
The author is pretty generous to the Spaniards  :cool:

The old alliance as it were?

Good old times...  :wub:

I mean, we were quite the big deal back then, decadence was still barely starting when that was made (early XVIIIth century, apparently).

I don't know if you watched El ministerio del tiempo but there was a character in it who was recruited by the time service but was a soldier in the Spansish Flanders army c.1580. His reaction to Spain's position in the world......"wtf happened??!!!??"  :D

Josquius

More than German to English just a scribble into normal letters translation there would have been good.
Very interesting!

There's a quote I remember reading years ago summing up the priorities of European people but I can never find it again. It stood out I remember as whilst the French were all about the honour of the king, the Dutch money, etc... the English were anarchic rabble.
Its interesting how the Victorian age set in stone a certain image of Britain which stands in such contrast to the way we are traditionally regarded.

Hell, the same goes for the Germans and the Prussian reich even.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2020, 06:49:15 AMI don't know if you watched El ministerio del tiempo but there was a character in it who was recruited by the time service but was a soldier in the Spansish Flanders army c.1580. His reaction to Spain's position in the world......"wtf happened??!!!??"  :D
Enjoy that show quite a lot.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2020, 06:44:10 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2020, 06:02:53 AM"Turks or Greeks".

Same thing really :P

Greeks notably improved their status, unlike others in this table. Well, except on Languish.  :P

celedhring

Not getting in that writing team (I know *lots* of people in it) is the biggest miss of my career  :glare:

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2020, 06:51:01 AMIts interesting how the Victorian age set in stone a certain image of Britain which stands in such contrast to the way we are traditionally regarded.

A certain image of Britain that only Britain believes in, I'd say.  :P

I mean, you'll always be the Perfidious Albion for us, a den of godless pirates and thieves.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2020, 06:57:11 AM
I don't know - most overseas stereotypes seem very much in the 19th century/Victorian model - as do most British self-stereotypes. But it is jut one brief period of stolid stability surrounded by a long history of chaos and disorder :lol:

QuoteI mean, you'll always be the Perfidious Albion for us, a den of godless pirates and thieves.
:lol: Good to know.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 21, 2020, 07:02:20 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2020, 06:57:11 AM
I don't know - most overseas stereotypes seem very much in the 19th century/Victorian model - as do most British self-stereotypes. But it is jut one brief period of stolid stability surrounded by a long history of chaos and disorder :lol:

What I mean is that in countries with a history of dealing with English/British (ie, most of Europe) that stereotype has not really held on.  :P

QuoteI mean, you'll always be the Perfidious Albion for us, a den of godless pirates and thieves.
:lol: Good to know.

Drake was a pirate and he should have been hanged.  :contract:

celedhring

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2020, 06:49:15 AM

I mean, we were quite the big deal back then, decadence was still barely starting when that was made (early XVIIIth century, apparently).

I don't know if you watched El ministerio del tiempo but there was a character in it who was recruited by the time service but was a soldier in the Spansish Flanders army c.1580. His reaction to Spain's position in the world......"wtf happened??!!!??"  :D

Yeah, that show was quite popular over here, and that time period were our golden years, so to speak. There's been the Captain Alatriste novels and film as well, in which the character of the XVIth century soldier from the show is based, in fact I believe he uses the Alatriste nickname at some point.

In that show they even had Spinola as the captain of the ministery's elite commandos for the first couple of seasons.  :lol: He was played by the actor that regularly dubs Bruce Willis, so that gave him an extra cool factor for the show.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on December 21, 2020, 04:37:54 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 21, 2020, 04:29:40 AM
Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2020, 01:46:45 PM

Also Tyr, there's more than just one style of italian pizza; I used to work in a reasonably 'authentic' Italian restaurant ie several Italians worked there and pizza was a real bone of contention between the Sicilian and the guy from Milan.

Pizza being Neapolitan, for starters.

In an argument between Milanese en Sicilians, I'm sure that would not have come up.  :lol:

:)

Yeah, that's why mentioned where they were from. IIRC the Sicilian wanted garlic included on most, whereas the guy from Milan was dead against it and he certainly made the best pizza  margherita. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2020, 06:10:57 AM
Nature and character of the Swedes.........."horrible"  :lol:

Checks out.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

:D Don't suppose you recall the episode? That sounds like it'd be fun to watch.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on December 21, 2020, 10:30:30 AM

:D Don't suppose you recall the episode? That sounds like it'd be fun to watch.

It could very well be the first one, when the three main characters are introduced. The soldier is one of the three protagonists of the show.