News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on December 19, 2020, 04:53:48 PM
And them there is Chicago style pizza ... boy was I ever disappointed by that! I'd heard it was not to be missed. I tried it, it was more like a stew than a pizza. Not a big fan here.

I have no idea what you ate in that case, but it certainly was not Chicago-style Pizza.  Chicago-style Pizza has a thicker but airier crust and the toppings are cooked a bit longer so are more "crunchy."  It resembles a stew in no way.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

The media correspondent for the Guardian was looking through the various complaints about the BBC (which is publicly released on a regular basis) and noted the intriguing story of the person who complained about a Radio Nottingham story because it could reduce the value of their home:

I cannot even imagine how exhausting the initial complaint letter must have been :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on December 19, 2020, 06:53:20 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 19, 2020, 04:53:48 PM
And them there is Chicago style pizza ... boy was I ever disappointed by that! I'd heard it was not to be missed. I tried it, it was more like a stew than a pizza. Not a big fan here.

I have no idea what you ate in that case, but it certainly was not Chicago-style Pizza.  Chicago-style Pizza has a thicker but airier crust and the toppings are cooked a bit longer so are more "crunchy."  It resembles a stew in no way.

What I had was Chicago style deep dish pizza.

It is described as "more like a pie than a flatbread". It is moist on the inside (see photos), expressly not crunchy. Though as you will see there is more than one type of pizza in Chicago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pizza
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on December 19, 2020, 05:48:29 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 19, 2020, 05:32:30 PM
I miss Swedish style pizza. Never remarked upon but oddly different to American and Italian. Good though.

Pizza with Surstromming instead of anchovies? 😉

They all tend to be like so:

All big and flat. But with chunky crusts and not crispy. Quite different to Italian style.

And hawaiian includes banana
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on December 19, 2020, 10:49:49 PM

It is described as "more like a pie than a flatbread". It is moist on the inside (see photos), expressly not crunchy. Though as you will see there is more than one type of pizza in Chicago.

Nothing in that article describe Chicago-style pizza as "more like a stew than a pizza," which is your claim.  If that's what you had, I argue you didn't really have a Chicago-style pizza (unless "stew" is a very different thing in Canada than the US and on wikipediahttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stew).  And my claim is that the toppings end up more "crunchy" because they are cooked longer, not that the whole thing is crunchy.  The crust is more bread-like.  If you didn't like what you had, that's fine, but your reason seems unrelated to what good Chicago-style pizza is actually like.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: Threviel on December 20, 2020, 10:34:50 AM
More like:

:bleeding:

For the love of god.

Also Tyr, there's more than just one style of italian pizza; I used to work in a reasonably 'authentic' Italian restaurant ie several Italians worked there and pizza was a real bone of contention between the Sicilian and the guy from Milan.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

That's what the pizza at my preferred place in Vienna looks like:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Yup, might be even deemed acceptable by an Italian.  :lol:

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on December 20, 2020, 01:38:25 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 19, 2020, 10:49:49 PM

Nothing in that article describe Chicago-style pizza as "more like a stew than a pizza," which is your claim.  If that's what you had, I argue you didn't really have a Chicago-style pizza (unless "stew" is a very different thing in Canada than the US and on wikipediahttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stew).  And my claim is that the toppings end up more "crunchy" because they are cooked longer, not that the whole thing is crunchy.  The crust is more bread-like.  If you didn't like what you had, that's fine, but your reason seems unrelated to what good Chicago-style pizza is actually like.

I'm not the only one to think this. I guess all these people don't know what they ate, either. 😄

https://www.eater.com/2014/3/21/6257627/chefs-weigh-in-is-chicago-deep-dish-pizza-really-pizza
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2020, 01:51:38 PM
That's what the pizza at my preferred place in Vienna looks like:

The first one is good even by NYC standards.  What the fuck is that second thing, though?

Eddie Teach

I think you may have the order reversed?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2020, 10:14:36 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2020, 10:03:36 AM
The pan will smoke without oil.

Why do you need the oil to smoke? I normally only ever go that hot if it's a wok and I'm cooking certain very quick flash fry things.
That's the point, I don't want the oil to smoke, but I want it to get hot enough to sear the steak.  My thinking was that if I used avocado oil, I could get the oil hot enough to sear the steak, but be safely clear of the point where I have to watch out for smoke.  It didn't work out that way, the oil started smoking 100F before it should've on paper, so that's why I'm trying to figure out what it is that I'm not understanding.
I decided to throw caution to the wind, and get the oil hot enough to do the job, smoke be damned.  There certainly was a hell of a lot of smoke, plumes even, but my "hood" (really microwave over the oven) seemed to handle it.  The steak I got out of it was the best I had in recent memory. :yeah:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2020, 01:46:45 PM

Also Tyr, there's more than just one style of italian pizza; I used to work in a reasonably 'authentic' Italian restaurant ie several Italians worked there and pizza was a real bone of contention between the Sicilian and the guy from Milan.

Pizza being Neapolitan, for starters.