News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2020, 06:02:53 AM

Which countries are represented? First one is Spain for sure, second is France, I think, third no idea, fourth is German?, fifth is England, sixth no idea, seventh is Poland, eighth Hungary, ninth no idea and tenth "Turks or Greeks".

Spanish, French, Italians, Germans, English, Swedes, Poles, Hungarians, Russians, Turks/Greeks

Richard Hakluyt

Having real difficulty posting a link to the wiki article on the Table that works  :hmm:

Maybe due to the original article being in German and being auto-translated?

Anyhow, google search on Styria Volkertafel will bring up the wiki page as a result and it has a translation into English.

Richard Hakluyt

Nature and character of the Swedes.........."horrible"  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2020, 06:09:58 AM
Having real difficulty posting a link to the wiki article on the Table that works  :hmm:

Maybe due to the original article being in German and being auto-translated?

Anyhow, google search on Styria Volkertafel will bring up the wiki page as a result and it has a translation into English.

I believe there was some character missing from your first link, but I managed to get to the German wiki article on it.  :)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%B6lkertafel_(Steiermark)

There's a larger picture on it.

Sheilbh

:lol:

Also unsurprisingly negative on Hungarians and Turks/Greeks.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2020, 06:10:57 AM

In the Spanish wiki translation of the chart it says "Brutes" rather than "Horrible" as the Swedes' nature and character.  :lmfao:

It seems to me that Hungarians, Poles, Russians and Turks were not really appreciated back then.  :hmm:

celedhring

Yeah, I was about to post that whoever did the table had no love for the Hungarian people  :lol:

The Russians are also "very Hungarian" according to the Spanish translation, which I presume is not meant as a compliment  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Really love the nature and character of Hungarians: "really Hungarian" (at least in English google translate) :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

For the record, this is what it says about the Spaniards, according to the Spanish wiki translation:

Appearance: Haughty.
Nature & character: Splendid.
Understanding: Alert and wise.
Quality: Masculine.
Science: Writing.
Clothing: Respectable.
Vice: Vanity.
Inclination: Glory and fame.
Disease: Constipation.
His coutnry: Fertile.
Virtue in war: Magnanimous.
Religiosity: Outstanding.  :pope:
Who they recognize as a ruler: A monarch.
Overabundance of: Fruits.
Passtime: Playing.
Animal kingdom equivalent: Elephant.
They die...: In bed.

Richard Hakluyt

The author is pretty generous to the Spaniards  :cool:

The old alliance as it were?

The Hungarians acknowledge an "unpopular one" as their ruler, guess that still works. The English "sometimes this, sometimes that"........the memory of 1642-60 and 1688 still fresh of course.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2020, 06:14:24 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2020, 06:10:57 AM

In the Spanish wiki translation of the chart it says "Brutes" rather than "Horrible" as the Swedes' nature and character.  :lmfao:

It seems to me that Hungarians, Poles, Russians and Turks were not really appreciated back then.  :hmm:

Asia begins at the Elbe  :D

Sheilbh

The English according to Google:
Appearance: Enjoyable.
Nature & character: Amiable.
Understanding: Graceful.
Quality: Feminine.
Science: Geography.
Clothing: According to French fashion.
Vice: Restless.
Inclination: Amusements.
Disease: Consumption.
His country: Fruitful.
Virtue in war: Sea heroes.
Religiosity: Changeable like the moon :lol:
Who they recognize as a ruler: Sometimes this, sometimes that :menace:
Overabundance of: Of pastures.
Passtime: Work.
Animal kingdom equivalent: Hores.
They die...: In water.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2020, 06:21:42 AM
The author is pretty generous to the Spaniards  :cool:

The old alliance as it were?

Good old times...  :wub:

I mean, we were quite the big deal back then, decadence was still barely starting when that was made (early XVIIIth century, apparently).

The Larch

Say something sad in just two words:

QuotePasstime: Work.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 21, 2020, 05:47:21 AM
One for Syt a rather great looking 18th century Völkertafel ("table of peoples" - short for "Brief Description of peoples of Europe and their different characteristics") - possibly by an Austrian:

I saw that one in the window of an antiques store here in Vienna a few years back. It's from Styria: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%B6lkertafel_(Steiermark)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.