News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

My neighbor is being a criminal in 2077 again.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

So someone in Bristol has put up a small statue of Darth Vader on the Colston plinth....I kind of like it :mellow: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Statue of a man who profited from the Atlantic slave trade, vs statue of a half-man, half-cyborg who participated in the genocide of billions on Alderaan (not to mention personally murdered the younglings in the Jedi Temple).

I don't think you're making an improvement there Bristol.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2020, 11:45:04 AM
Statue of a man who profited from the Atlantic slave trade, vs statue of a half-man, half-cyborg who participated in the genocide of billions on Alderaan (not to mention personally murdered the younglings in the Jedi Temple).

I don't think you're making an improvement there Bristol.

Well, if you're going to go with "evil" as a theme, don't go half arsed.  :P

celedhring

For some weird reason I keep getting bombarded by ads to buy dirt in Scotland and get a (I presume) fake title.

The Brain

Indeed it is. You become a Laird.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

These covers popped up on the Pulp Librarian twitter account.

I am quite intrigued by how much of the 70s cover is copied from the 60s(?) version, down to details like the napkin holder and salt/pepper shakers, juke box, person in front of the door reading something, and the buildings on the right hand side with the tree behind them. :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on December 02, 2020, 02:03:03 PM
Indeed it is. You become a Laird.

If you eat Scottish food, on the other hand, you become a lard.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on December 02, 2020, 02:12:55 PM

I am quite intrigued by how much of the 70s cover is copied from the 60s(?) version, down to details like the napkin holder and salt/pepper shakers, juke box, person in front of the door reading something, and the buildings on the right hand side with the tree behind them. :lol:

Though from strawberry to a chocolate milkshake is taking artistic license too far.  :mad:

Syt

I find it fascinating that the composition is completely copied, but it didn't just trace the previous art with new clothes. It seems someone said, "Do this cover, but contemporary."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Pity they got rid of the Hay and Feed Company. That really brought it all together.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2020, 04:12:00 PM

Pity they got rid of the Hay and Feed Company. That really brought it all together.

Sneed's Feed and Seed.

Formerly Chuck's.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1334123904126787588

QuoteQuite Interesting
@qikipedia
In 1842, Joseph Geefs made a sculpture of Lucifer (left) for St. Paul's Cathedral in Liège. It was removed because it was 'too sublime' and people thought it would distract girls from the sermons. It was replaced by the sculpture on the right. (Camera: Georges Jansoone / Luc Viatour)

"The old one is too sexy, let's do a new one, more buff, with tousled hair, and brooding."  :hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould