News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2020, 11:33:18 AM
If the meat is not in sandwich or burger form we don't mix cheese and meat particularly often do we? :hmm:

No. But the sheer prevalence of sandwiches and burger in American fare invalidates its rarity in other types of meals.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Grey Fox

Cheese with meat in sandwiches is there to fix the bread; not the meat.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 23, 2020, 12:12:49 PM
If the meat is not in sandwich or burger form we don't mix cheese and meat particularly often do we? :hmm:

No. But the sheer prevalence of sandwiches and burger in American fare invalidates its rarity in other types of meals.

Only if you only eat at sandwich or fast food joints. Even then you can always get the chicken nuggets.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Tex-Mex cuisine mixes (shredded) cheese and meat quite often.

Eddie Teach

Yeah and you can put cheese on hot dogs too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2020, 12:22:25 PMOnly if you only eat at sandwich or fast food joints.

Or BBQ joints, or steakhouses, or casual restaurants, or formal-yet-trendy restaurants, or...

Don't get me wrong: I love sandwiches. But they really are a solid, gigantic core of American cuisine.

(And while my time in the US has led me to discover truly amazing American cheeses, none of them are ever used in those sandwiches).
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 23, 2020, 12:37:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2020, 12:22:25 PMOnly if you only eat at sandwich or fast food joints.

Or BBQ joints, or steakhouses, or casual restaurants, or formal-yet-trendy restaurants, or...

Don't get me wrong: I love sandwiches. But they really are a solid, gigantic core of American cuisine.

(And while my time in the US has led me to discover truly amazing American cheeses, none of them are ever used in those sandwiches).

And the most famous American sandwiches are those New York Deli sandwiches and those do not mix meat and cheese since God hates it when Jews do that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

America's most famous sandwich is the taco :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on November 23, 2020, 01:24:49 PM

If you consider it a sandwich, it'd be the hamburger.  :P Or the hot dog.  :P :P

Eddie Teach

Pb&J is pretty famous too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on November 23, 2020, 01:28:09 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 23, 2020, 01:24:49 PM

If you consider it a sandwich, it'd be the hamburger.  :P Or the hot dog.  :P :P

I meant famous for being good, not for just being everywhere :P

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 23, 2020, 01:55:56 PM
Someone managed to create a vinyl record that functions as DOS boot disk:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/11/23/running-dos-off-a-vinyl-record-is-wildly-impractical-but-deeply-hip/

Our younger readers might not know of the DOS boot disk, a tool which was invaluable for fixing a busted PC. If your system wouldn't boot, plugging in one of these USB flash drives (wittily shaped like the 'save file' icon, because they could save your files) with their own wee self-contained OS would at least give access to basic tools for diagnosis and recovery.

:lol:

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 22, 2020, 08:26:43 PM
Need quick advice.

How much do I tip an Uber Eats guy?  Bill including $5 delivery fee is $42.
A good rule of thumb is $1/mile. More if traffic is heavy or other adverse circumstances.

crazy canuck

Moving up the rankings for Folding@home

now 18,562 of 2,771,099 people allowing researchers to use my CPU and graphics card in the background.