News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2020, 12:46:21 PM
I did enjoy the uniforms-- Bundeswehr, Stasi, Grenztruppen.  But they made a couple mistakes on the US Army uniforms.  And General Jackson came across a little odd at times-- how did his German sound to your ear?

It was a bit off to how Americans normally sound speaking German. We had several Americans stay after their service and become singers or actors. Looked up the actor: "Errol Trotman Harewood, a born British native of Guyana, South America". But that doesn't mean much. Plenty UK actors who do a convincing US accent (see: The Wire, Band of Brothers etc.), though the reverse seems much harder.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on August 10, 2020, 01:32:48 PM
Roundabouts are starting to show up here.  I can think of two off the top of my head within ten miles or so.  When they put each of them in, there was much gnashing of teeth till they opened and people learned how to use them, and now they much prefer them to traffic lights.

:gasp:

[Trumpsters]

Anti-American.

[/Trumpsters]
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

On double roundabouts.... I think the tide is turning against them. A particularly infamous one in Newcastle has been done away with lately.
They're just too confusing and cause accidents.

On roundabouts just yesterday I read about the right wing teeth gnashing at the UK's first Dutch roundabout. The Sun screaming it was A CYCLIST KILLING ZONE.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/gallery/dutch-roundabout-cambridge-new-photos-18732279

██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Roundabouts are starting to show up here.  I can think of two off the top of my head within ten miles or so.  When they put each of them in, there was much gnashing of teeth till they opened and people learned how to use them, and now they much prefer them to traffic lights.

In what kind of way are they slowly converting the US to Europe West?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 11:19:52 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2020, 11:15:49 AM
And why are they called "magic"?  Because no one knows how they work?
It's a reference to the 1970s Anglo-French psychadelic kid's TV show the Magic Roundabout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3DcChXNyYQ

If you spend any time in your life with stoners you'll end up talking about the Magic Roundabout :lol:

Edit: Just watching that clip and it's so 1970s there's a joke about nationalisation :lol:

I think Bill Bailey also had a bit about the Magic Roundabout theme song.

Did not the Manège Enchanté was famous in Albion. I remember watching some re-runs in the '80s as a child.

Sheilbh

Yeah I think the tide is turning against big roundabouts. The Elephant and Castle Roundabout, which was a bit of a nightmare:

Has been got rid of and is now a lot better (and less terrifying for cyclists).
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on August 10, 2020, 01:38:54 PM
Next we'll start seeing pommes frites showing up at White Castle!  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2020, 01:36:16 PM
though the reverse seems much harder.

Doing a generic American/Canadian Accent is pretty easy and you can mess up and nobody really cares. I am not sure that such a thing like a generic accent exists for the British and they are so damn particular about it.

Now trying to do regional American accents now that can get dicey, even for American actors.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 10, 2020, 01:38:54 PM

Well they started in 1610, it has been a slow process.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2020, 02:14:36 PM

Doing a generic American/Canadian Accent is pretty easy and you can mess up and nobody really cares. I am not sure that such a thing like a generic accent exists for the British and they are so damn particular about it.

Now trying to do regional American accents now that can get dicey, even for American actors.

I would really like to see if my English accent would be passable to the natives...but I am too respectful.  :(

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on August 10, 2020, 01:37:34 PM
On double roundabouts.... I think the tide is turning against them. A particularly infamous one in Newcastle has been done away with lately.
They're just too confusing and cause accidents.

On roundabouts just yesterday I read about the right wing teeth gnashing at the UK's first Dutch roundabout. The Sun screaming it was A CYCLIST KILLING ZONE.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/gallery/dutch-roundabout-cambridge-new-photos-18732279

That thing cost 2.4 million?  :lol:

There are a lot of road markings, I can see how what would be confusing people.

Sheilbh

According to the Lithuanian Foreign Minister:
QuoteTried to reach Svetlana #Tikhanovskaya for several hours. Her whereabouts not known even to her staff. Concerned about her safety. #Belarus

Which is worrying.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 02:40:35 PM
According to the Lithuanian Foreign Minister:
QuoteTried to reach Svetlana #Tikhanovskaya for several hours. Her whereabouts not known even to her staff. Concerned about her safety. #Belarus

Which is worrying.

Wow. You don't think Lukashenko would go so far as to take her out would you?

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2020, 02:14:36 PM

Brits often seem to do Southern US accents quite well. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall