News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

After all the languish bullying, I finally gave in and bought an electric kettle  <_<

Sheilbh

:lol: In very expected poll results:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

That should have been your approach to the EU :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 13, 2020, 10:36:30 AM
That should have been your approach to the EU :P
That is the other option stay in the group indefinitely but very loudly make it clear you don't want to be part of this group chat :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Josquius

Could be a quick work around for the general problems of FPTP and binary choices.
You get to vote for the one you want regularly, or tick a "I'm voting for them but I'm not happy about it" box.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on August 13, 2020, 10:35:05 AM
After all the languish bullying, I finally gave in and bought an electric kettle  <_<

Well, well, well.  If it isn't the Spaniard calling the kettle electric.

No, I don't know what I'm going on about.  Shut up!  Leave me alone!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

For the English nerds. Does this sound correct?

Your destination is the journey.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on August 13, 2020, 08:26:48 PM
For the English nerds. Does this sound correct?

Your destination is the journey.

Grammatically, it's correct. It sounds odd - I think I'd say it differently - but it's not incorrect.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PDH

Perhaps less grammatically accepted, but more how I would say it is: "Your destination...is the journey."   Adding in that pause to allow gravitas to flood into the voice and overwhelm the listener with acceptance of your more zen-like wisdom.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on August 13, 2020, 10:02:11 PM
Perhaps less grammatically accepted, but more how I would say it is: "Your destination...is the journey."   Adding in that pause to allow gravitas to flood into the voice and overwhelm the listener with acceptance of your more zen-like wisdom.

Or in a high pitch Canadian voice:

"The point of the Journey is not to arrive"

:unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

And with that 11B4V finishes his novel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

In German it's "Der Weg ist das Ziel".

Some googling suggests there's three common ways to express this in English:

https://www.crellin.de/2012/06/der-weg-ist-das-ziel-auf-englisch/?cookie-state-change=1597381216692

QuoteIn German, this saying always takes the same form. In English, there are numerous ways of expressing the same idea. However, from my research I have found three which appear to be in fairly common usage:

o   'The journey is the reward'
o   'The journey is the destination'
o   'The way is the goal'

'The journey is the reward' appears on all the online dictionaries I consulted. Google search returns a sizable 1 560 000 results. However, this may be influenced by a book with this title about the life of former Apple boss Steve Jobs (but this does confirm that it is a phrase in use). The search was narrowed by including the word 'proverb'. This returned 482 000 hits.

'The journey is the destination' provides 1 080 000 results. However, a large number of the returned links are concerned with journals of this title by a British photographer called Dan Eldon, who was killed in Somalia in 1993. While this does not make this choice unsuitable, it seems to have a specific association with these journals.

'The way is the goal' and 'proverb' returns 7 610 000 Google hits. However, the search results often point towards a link with Gandhi – in all likelihood due to a book called The Way is the Goal: Gandhi Today by Prof. Johan Galtung. Intriguingly, there is no firm evidence to suggest Gandhi actually did say this. Again, this connection does not necessarily make it unsuitable.

Modern quotations as viable alternatives

From further research, I found that two notable literary figures of recent history had their own take on the idea underlying "der Weg ist das Ziel".

Ralph Waldo Emerson, an American poet, once said 'life is a journey, not a destination.' This has 1 620 000 Google hits or 228 000 when searched specifically in connection with Emerson.

And in 1881, poet and novelist Robert Louis Stevenson said 'to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive.'
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Life's a journey, not a destination
And I just can't tell just what tomorrow brings
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?