News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Nobody poster Swindon's magic roundabout yet?

Quote from: celedhring on August 10, 2020, 09:17:02 AMWhat happened to the dinoshrubbery, Larchie?

It now lords over one of our most important tourist spots. And it had a baby!  :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 10, 2020, 10:28:26 AM
But on the topic, as an Amerikan, I generally really like roundabouts...when used wisely.  For relatively low-traffic intersections, they're fantastic.  It is when they get into the double-roundabouts, roundabouts with traffic lights in the middle, and other high-volume locations that they get out of hand.

Good point :hmm:

I have only ever experienced them in newly constructed areas that are not yet high volume travel areas. I have spent a lot of time in DC but I only ever rode in cars other people were driving. High volume roundabouts might be dreadful, I don't know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on August 10, 2020, 10:29:00 AM
Nobody poster Swindon's magic roundabout yet?

:lol: Just as people start saying they don't like it when roundabouts get out of hand.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

I literally don't know what you are supposed to do in that thing. 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

It also reminds me of the amazing (possibly untrue) tabloid of an elderly British couple who ended up trapped for hours on the Arc de Triomphe roundabout after foolishly heading onto the central lane and then not being able to get out :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 10:39:30 AM
It also reminds me of the amazing (possibly untrue) tabloid of an elderly British couple who ended up trapped for hours on the Arc de Triomphe roundabout after foolishly heading onto the central lane and then not being able to get out :lol:

Same thing happened to an American family in London, around 1985.

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on August 10, 2020, 10:47:29 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 10:39:30 AM

Same thing happened to an American family in London, around 1985.

:lol:

That movie definitely set roudabouts back over here :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Confirms the wisdom of me not even trying to drive in England.

Between not being used to driving on the other side and not being used to roundabouts (never mind that mega roundabout thing), it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Now I'll just put on that Yes song "Roundabout" ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

I understand that, technically, the Plough Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead is more complicated. I can't drive so I don't know - but this sign chills me to the bone :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 10:56:09 AM
I understand that, technically, the Plough Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead is more complicated. I can't drive so I don't know - but this sign chills me to the bone :lol:

I see it has one more sub-roundabout than the Magic one (6 vs. 5).  :lol:

Tonitrus

You guys could stand to import the "free right (well, left for ya'll) turn on a red light" Americanism...but to be fair, many of the light-controlled intersections I see around here wouldn't allow for that to be done safely.  Most of yours have the traffic stopping spot too far set back.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 10, 2020, 10:51:02 AM
Confirms the wisdom of me not even trying to drive in England.

Between not being used to driving on the other side and not being used to roundabouts (never mind that mega roundabout thing), it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Now I'll just put on that Yes song "Roundabout" ...

+ all the fun blind one lane roads.

That said, my experience of driving on the other side of the road in Malta suggested it isn't that hard to adapt bar accidentally turning on the windshield wipers a lot.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

In Barcelona there's an infamous 2-level roundabout where the 3 largest thoroughfares in the city all intersect. It's pure madness and the whole roundabout has been knocked down and rebuilt in a different shape 3 times during my whole life. Now they are going to knock it down *again* and try a roundabout-less solution which I can't see working either.

Syt

What is the point of the magic roundabouts? Can't you just stay on the outer circle to get to where you want? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

And why are they called "magic"?  Because no one knows how they work?