News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Play on a famous British children's show, I think.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2020, 11:15:49 AM
And why are they called "magic"?  Because no one knows how they work?
It's a reference to the 1970s Anglo-French psychadelic kid's TV show the Magic Roundabout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3DcChXNyYQ

If you spend any time in your life with stoners you'll end up talking about the Magic Roundabout :lol:

Edit: Just watching that clip and it's so 1970s there's a joke about nationalisation :lol:

I think Bill Bailey also had a bit about the Magic Roundabout theme song.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Quote from: Malthus on August 10, 2020, 10:35:54 AM
I literally don't know what you are supposed to do in that thing. 😄

There is no magic to roundabouts. You are supposed to behave exactly as you would on a straight street.

Granted, the sheer amount of options in the magic clusterfuck above can be daunting, but once you enter the thing you are in a simple 2-lane street with exits left (out) and right (shortcut).

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2020, 09:00:27 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2020, 08:51:20 AM
I quite like the old one :blush:

But I love mid-century in general.

I didn't hate it. But stepping inside (which I did once, in 2007 or so? - since then the passport office is in a different building in town) was like stepping into a 1980s time capsule. If you look at the official buildings in Deutschland '83, you get an idea of what I mean. :D

This post reminded me that I never got around to watching Deutschland '83 :Embarrass:

I took care of that over the weekend.  Quite enjoyed it and am already re-watching with the wife because she was intrigued by the music in one of the episodes.  Will have to wait for her to get caught up before I start Deutschland '86.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2020, 11:26:32 AM
This post reminded me that I never got around to watching Deutschland '83 :Embarrass:

I took care of that over the weekend.  Quite enjoyed it and am already re-watching with the wife because she was intrigued by the music in one of the episodes.  Will have to wait for her to get caught up before I start Deutschland '86.
V different vibe but if you like shows with years in their names and cracking soundtracks, have a look at the This is England series :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2020, 11:26:32 AMThis post reminded me that I never got around to watching Deutschland '83 :Embarrass:

Haven't watched '86 yet, but heard it's not quite as good.

What I find remarkable is that '83 starts with New Order's Blue Monday, and that the main actor has a striking resemblance to what New Order frontman Bernard Sumner looked like at the time.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 11:28:52 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2020, 11:26:32 AM

V different vibe but if you like shows with years in their names and cracking soundtracks, have a look at the This is England series :)

Looked at the soundtrack-- right up my alley.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2020, 11:31:48 AM
Haven't watched '86 yet, but heard it's not quite as good.

What I find remarkable is that '83 starts with New Order's Blue Monday, and that the main actor has a striking resemblance to what New Order frontman Bernard Sumner looked like at the time.

Doppelganger for sure :)

Although in the US title sequence is set to the English version of "Major Tom (Coming Home)" by Peter Schilling.

Syt

Yeah, that song is considered quite cheesy over here. :D

Btw, I was still wearing the same kind of uniform in '95/'96 (they were just slowly starting to introduce camo pattern uniforms when I left). But the furniture etc.? Yep, been there. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

I did enjoy the uniforms-- Bundeswehr, Stasi, Grenztruppen.  But they made a couple mistakes on the US Army uniforms.  And General Jackson came across a little odd at times-- how did his German sound to your ear?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 10:39:30 AM
It also reminds me of the amazing (possibly untrue) tabloid of an elderly British couple who ended up trapped for hours on the Arc de Triomphe roundabout after foolishly heading onto the central lane and then not being able to get out :lol:
:lol:
The Arc de Triomphe roundabout (not a carrefour giratoire a.k.a rond-point à l'anglaise) has some specific rules indeed. Vehicles inside must give way to vehicles entering (right of way).
In general, I would not recommend driving in Paris, specially there.
Saw a scooter hit by a car just yesterday there, not too serious but it is really easily clogged with bad drivers and not so common rules.

Caliga

Roundabouts are starting to show up here.  I can think of two off the top of my head within ten miles or so.  When they put each of them in, there was much gnashing of teeth till they opened and people learned how to use them, and now they much prefer them to traffic lights.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points