News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Whenever I set my vpn to Ireland or Iceland for some reason I get American ads.

I've noticed a trend lately...they all try to be really flippant and post modern. Mocking the idea of ads. It's... Weird.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on August 06, 2020, 08:18:40 AM
Whenever I set my vpn to Ireland or Iceland for some reason I get American ads.

I've noticed a trend lately...they all try to be really flippant and post modern. Mocking the idea of ads. It's... Weird.

With all those fake influencer/reviewer ads on Youtube and other places online, I am finding myself missing the giga-cheesy and mega-artificial German washing powder commercials of the early 90s.

merithyn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 06, 2020, 01:41:24 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 06, 2020, 01:38:25 AM
Heard on the BBC this morning a gent saying that Britain "needs a national beaver strategy" so that "beavers can be rolled out all across England".  :hmm:

Must be connected to the "eat out to help out" strategy  :hmm:

Yes, please. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

You know what I miss?

OH WHAT A FEELING!  TOYOTA!

..and the dude is leaping in the air because he got a shitty little compact  :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

To be fair, a shitty little compact in Europe is like a stretch limo in the US.

Sheilbh

Amazing from Berlin. Some wild pigs stealing a bag with a man's clothes at Teufelssee :lol:  :lmfao:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 06, 2020, 11:57:16 AM
You know what I miss?

OH WHAT A FEELING!  TOYOTA!

..and the dude is leaping in the air because he got a shitty little compact  :lol:

And he would freeze in midair. It was amazing. Then my first care was a Toyota...and it was less amazing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2020, 03:34:37 PM
Amazing from Berlin. Some wild pigs stealing a bag with a man's clothes at Teufelssee :lol:  :lmfao:

Only in Germany  :lol:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

Interesting how the tall grain silo is still standing but the buildings behind it are gone.

Iormlund

Quote from: Maladict on August 07, 2020, 04:40:37 AM
Interesting how the tall grain silo is still standing but the buildings behind it are gone.

It might have been designed to withstand a grain dust explosion.

Syt

Unbeknownst to me, the German embassy in Vienna was demolished in 2014. It was a building from the 1960s by a German architect that very much screamed "Bonner Republik"; it might as well have been a federal building in Bonn from those days and was typical for the style of office building popular during the period.

It seems it's being replaced by this:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Tbf, I prefer the French Embassy, designed by Georges Chedanne who also designed the Galeries Lafayette in Paris:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

I quite like the old one :blush:

But I love mid-century in general.

Germany Embassy in London is in a slightly similar vein:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Something that I find interesting (others may not), the only Sumerian origin modern English word: abyss :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!