News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Mass protests now. And some polling stations are releasing the real results, which show him losing in a landslide.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

No idea what'll happen. Apparently protests are nation-wide and they'd moved a lot of regional security forces into Minsk to protect the capital.

Also unknown - what Russia will do.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: PDH on August 09, 2020, 11:58:30 AM
However mincemeat is fruit and nuts and spices with suet.
I mean, it's the logical progression :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: merithyn on August 09, 2020, 05:01:00 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 09, 2020, 02:28:48 PM
Quote from: Maladict on August 09, 2020, 01:50:36 PM
Lukashenko to win the election with 80% of the votes, I am shocked I tell you.

But it's not as smooth this time, as polling stations have to get rid of bags and bags of inconvenient votes.
https://twitter.com/mediazona_by/status/1292417602791321602

Not a good night for Belarus

https://twitter.com/tutby/status/1292538957440389126

What's happening here, please? :unsure:

As the text says, and video shows (it's fuzzy, I know)...there are several cops (OMON are basically all-purpose federal cops) trying to arrest some dude, and you have the crowd moving in en masse to beat the cops off...I think I see one at least doing a near drop kick on one there. 

Razgovory

Cat killed two mice, but destroyed a TV.  So it's sort of a wash.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on August 09, 2020, 05:01:00 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 09, 2020, 02:28:48 PM
Quote from: Maladict on August 09, 2020, 01:50:36 PM
Lukashenko to win the election with 80% of the votes, I am shocked I tell you.

But it's not as smooth this time, as polling stations have to get rid of bags and bags of inconvenient votes.
https://twitter.com/mediazona_by/status/1292417602791321602

Not a good night for Belarus

https://twitter.com/tutby/status/1292538957440389126

What's happening here, please? :unsure:

Moscow reporting:

Wrong sort of ballot-box stuffing in-line delays arrival of Lukashenko election victory.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 09, 2020, 05:06:24 PM
Also unknown - what Russia will do.
That's the real unknown here.  Lukeshenko had dozens of Wagner people arrested publicly a couple of weeks ago, and accused them of plotting a bloodbath.  I imagine Russians weren't too pleased, unless this is some sort of a super-complex conspiracy scheme.  They may want Lukeshenko gone, just because he's too strong of a personality for them, but at the same time I don't see Russia supporting any kind of uprising.  Russians have publicly supported mass slaughter of protesters before, just as a matter of principle.

My prediction is that Russia will fan the flames for a little while, before they step in to bail out Lukashenko.  They'll get to crush an uprising and make a real vassal out of him at the same time.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 09, 2020, 07:33:39 PM
My prediction is that Russia will fan the flames for a little while, before they step in to bail out Lukashenko.  They'll get to crush an uprising and make a real vassal out of him at the same time.

It's a good rehearsal for November as well.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Just found out that Geri Halliwell and Priti Patel went to the same school and, based on their Wikipedias*, were probably in the same year. Which has weirdly blown my mind :blink:

* I feel like Geri Halliwell's true age is more closely guarded than the Arc of the Covenant, and I'm not sure how truthful this is.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

She was always much older than the other spice girls iirc? Put in there as there had to be one with talent.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Patel's wiki entry says that she attended a comprehensive school, whereas Halliwell went to a grammar  :hmm:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 04:55:18 AM
Just found out that Geri Halliwell and Priti Patel went to the same school and, based on their Wikipedias*, were probably in the same year. Which has weirdly blown my mind :blink:

* I feel like Geri Halliwell's true age is more closely guarded than the Arc of the Covenant, and I'm not sure how truthful this is.

Anglo Wikipedia says she was born in 1972, for what it's worth.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 10, 2020, 05:14:52 AM
Patel's wiki entry says that she attended a comprehensive school, whereas Halliwell went to a grammar  :hmm:
It's a lie. From the BBC article that is footnoted for that fact:
QuoteBorn in London to Gujarati parents who fled Uganda in the 1960s, she was educated at Watford Grammar School for Girls.

I suppose most schools look like comps if you went to Eton :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Interesting - it's been a while since I looked but almost all mention of her supposedly acting as a model for the covers of reprints of alleged Victorian-era erotica seem to have disappeared off the web.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."