And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on August 05, 2020, 01:37:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 04, 2020, 08:27:30 PM
2700 tons sounds like way too much. That's like a small tactical nuke. I'd be surprised if those highrises could withstand an explosion like that.

2700 tons doesn't sound obviously unreasonable to me when I look at the explosion and its effects. Remember also that the TNT equivalent is lower if it's ammonium nitrate.

The figure I've heard being tossed around is that the explosion amounted to around 1 Kt, factoring in the conversion - though that was of course just an estimate. Wikipedia claims estimates range from 0.1 to 3 Kt. - though 3 Kt seems impossible to me.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 04, 2020, 08:27:30 PM
2700 tons sounds like way too much. That's like a small tactical nuke. I'd be surprised if those highrises could withstand an explosion like that.

The damage looks like the yield from a small nuclear weapon.  Nukes are designed to blow up over the target, this explosion was at ground level so half the energy was directed into the ground.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Looking at pictures of the site post-explosion and there's a huge as crater at ground zero where the warehouse used to be. Lebanon's strategic grain reserve looks pretty fucked up with grain all over the place. No idea how salvageable it is.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Sounds pretty messed up with the head of the port authority saying he asked for this to be moved 5 years ago but... Something.
Who knows if he is the honest one or just first on the hit list so first to make excuses.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 05, 2020, 11:31:03 AM
Looking at pictures of the site post-explosion and there's a huge as crater at ground zero where the warehouse used to be. Lebanon's strategic grain reserve looks pretty fucked up with grain all over the place. No idea how salvageable it is.

They import 90% of their grain through that port. It's a catastrophe.

https://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Lebanon-News/2020/Aug-05/509878-lebanon-mourns-beirut-blast-toll-expected-to-rise.ashx#.XypEap_98Fk.twitter

QuoteLebanon's government Wednesday declared a two-week state of emergency in Beirut, a day after a devastating explosion at Beirut's port turned the capital into a disaster zone, killing 135 people and injuring 5,000, according to Health Minister Hamad Hassan.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Heard on the BBC this morning a gent saying that Britain "needs a national beaver strategy" so that "beavers can be rolled out all across England".  :hmm:

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 06, 2020, 01:38:25 AM
Heard on the BBC this morning a gent saying that Britain "needs a national beaver strategy" so that "beavers can be rolled out all across England".  :hmm:

Must be connected to the "eat out to help out" strategy  :hmm:

Josquius

I didn't know beavers came in spools
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

:lol:

On the whole re-wilding issue I found this headline mildly alarming:
QuoteGerman Wolf Attacks 'Spiraling Out of Control,' Farm Lobby Warns
:ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Coming from a farming lobby, I'd gather several handfuls of salt to go with it.

celedhring

Farmers in northern Catalonia have been howling mad about released bear attacks for years. I remember meeting one once during a holiday there, "if you pixapins* like bears so much, let them run wild in your bedroom instead of stuffing them here".

*Catalan for "pine pisser", a rural slur for us city slickers  :lol:

Sheilbh

QuoteWild beavers in England win right to remain at their homes in River Otter
England's first wild beavers in 400 years will now be allowed to stay at their homes in Devon following a five-year study on the animals' impact on the local environment.
Photo via @DevonWildlife
Incidentally if I was an Otter, I would be furious with my legal team about this <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Just had the boiler man round to check my gas. Making small talk I asked if everything was okay and he replied "Oh! It was very unusual. Anyway cheerio!"

Me rn:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.