News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: HVC on June 17, 2020, 02:45:24 PM
they're re branding aunt jemima and uncle bens. congrats to them and their upcoming massive loss of market share. But i guess at this point there's no choice.
I guess I lack cultural sensitivity here, but what is the issue with Unlce Ben's rice?  :huh: Never heard of the other brand.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zanza on June 17, 2020, 04:38:47 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 17, 2020, 02:45:24 PM
they're re branding aunt jemima and uncle bens. congrats to them and their upcoming massive loss of market share. But i guess at this point there's no choice.
I guess I lack cultural sensitivity here, but what is the issue with Unlce Ben's rice?  :huh: Never heard of the other brand.

Aunt Jemima's is a pancake mix/(fake)maple syrup, so of course mostly unknown in Europe.  :P

Valmy

Ok first of all he is a fictitious character, a mascot if you will. Secondly "Uncle" was a common way to refer to old slaves/servants back in the bad old days so it is your trusty black cook or rice picker or whatever.

Back in the 1940s this was something the culture recognized and picked up on. Now it is pretty obscure what exactly it refers to so it kind of passed without comment for the most part (I think, maybe there was a big anti-Uncle Ben's movement out there I didn't know about). But I guess it is time for something new.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

I wonder if they will rebrand it here as well as I guess the cultural reference is completely lost on consumers here.

Sheilbh

Do any of you have Captain Birdseye?

They re-branded him from twinkly Santa-looking old man on a boat full of children, to weirdly rugged and sexy man on a boat full of children. I'm not convinced it's an unalloyed success.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Captain Birdseye is called Käpt'n Iglo in Germany. No idea if they changed him similarly to what you described. Apparently he is now supposed to appeal to adults and not just children. 

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Sheilbh

Captain Birdseye of my childhood:

Then they re-branded him:

Not sure what he looks like now.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It works like the  Santa Clause movie. He looks like the top one again.

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2020, 04:42:40 PM
Ok first of all he is a fictitious character, a mascot if you will. Secondly "Uncle" was a common way to refer to old slaves/servants back in the bad old days so it is your trusty black cook or rice picker or whatever.

Back in the 1940s this was something the culture recognized and picked up on. Now it is pretty obscure what exactly it refers to so it kind of passed without comment for the most part (I think, maybe there was a big anti-Uncle Ben's movement out there I didn't know about). But I guess it is time for something new.

Yeah, I had no idea about this uncle thing. I guess that explains uncle rebus too. I always just took uncle there to mean technically not related but close to the family adult guy.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

I dunno about the Uncle Ben / Aunt Jemima stuff.  I fully appreciate that they came from some fairly racist tropes.  But both characters have been heavily redesigned over the years and are now just depictions of a black man and a black woman, respectively.

A little while ago they removed the "Indian Maiden" from Land-o-Lakes butter.  But then someone pointed out that the character had been designed and created by a first nations artist.

I'm not convinced that removing depictions of people of colour from consumer products is really going to help anything.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Well tell that to MARS or whomever
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2020, 05:45:20 PM
I dunno about the Uncle Ben / Aunt Jemima stuff.  I fully appreciate that they came from some fairly racist tropes.  But both characters have been heavily redesigned over the years and are now just depictions of a black man and a black woman, respectively.

A little while ago they removed the "Indian Maiden" from Land-o-Lakes butter.  But then someone pointed out that the character had been designed and created by a first nations artist.

I'm not convinced that removing depictions of people of colour from consumer products is really going to help anything.

I can tell you as a person of color that Aunt Jemima has always skeeved me out as a brand.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2020, 05:45:20 PM

You may not be the person who matters here.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2020, 04:42:40 PM

And there's also the expression "Uncle Tom".

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 17, 2020, 04:49:40 PM
Do any of you have Captain Birdseye?

They re-branded him from twinkly Santa-looking old man on a boat full of children, to weirdly rugged and sexy man on a boat full of children. I'm not convinced it's an unalloyed success.

We used to have a "Capitán Pescanova". It used to look like this:

And it got rebranded to a younger one as well:

Nowadays it's mostly about the uniform (yellow raincoat and cap, sometimes with a striped jersey), worn by a kid.