The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2018, 04:20:14 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 01, 2018, 01:59:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2018, 01:43:59 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 01, 2018, 01:36:19 PM
Languish seems to have a weird plethora of people who want to live in foreign countries but not learn the local languages. It's bizarre. If I chose to live in a non-English-speaking country for any appreciable amount of time, I'd be ashamed not to be learning a local tongue.

Who are you thinking of besides Tyr? :hmm:

Tim has, by his own admission, learned very little Korean despite living in South Korea for years.

Spellus doesn't post much here any longer, but judging by his FB posts, he is actually learning quite a bit of Georgian, in contrast.

I think Spellus has started a relationship with Georgia so he can stalk his old flame Russia.

https://youtu.be/9D2A32KUTq0
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 01, 2018, 02:24:08 PM
In his defense, Korean is hard.

Yeah, but he hasn't even really learned English yet, and the Koreans are letting him teach it.  It is as if Cambodia were letting me teach Bulgarian.

alfred russel

Quote from: Savonarola on February 01, 2018, 05:56:31 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 01, 2018, 01:36:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2018, 01:13:55 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 01, 2018, 12:59:52 PM
I finally took the plunge and bought myself a DSLR. A entry level nikkon.
Open the book and there are 3 bulky manuals. French, German and Italian.
Ah.
:bleeding:

That shouldn't be a problem for somebody who has lived in Switzerland as long as you have. Right? :P

Languish seems to have a weird plethora of people who want to live in foreign countries but not learn the local languages. It's bizarre. If I chose to live in a non-English-speaking country for any appreciable amount of time, I'd be ashamed not to be learning a local tongue.

Josq, from what I remember, did learn Japanese when he lived in Japan.  His refusal to learn French is just one of his eccentricities.

Generally I think it is pathetic to live in a country long term and not learn the language, but it Switzerland's case it is understandable. Most people speak english, and the country is the size of a postage stamp and tri lingual.

Also, Swiss culture, if such a thing really exists, isn't all that interesting to immerse yourself into, and he also works for a mega corporation so probably many of his coworkers aren't swiss.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

I made efforts to learn the native language when I was in Canada  :bowler:

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Monoriu

Quote from: HVC on February 01, 2018, 09:58:32 PM
How's your French? :P

:blush:

Alright, one of the native languages  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on February 01, 2018, 09:06:59 PM
Generally I think it is pathetic to live in a country long term and not learn the language, but it Switzerland's case it is understandable. Most people speak english

Is this true?  I've only ever met one Swiss so I can't really say, but I always figured their English ability correlated with their ethnicity.  I.e., German, pretty good, French and Italian, crappy.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2018, 10:35:37 PM
Generally I think it is pathetic to live in a country long term and not learn the language, but it Switzerland's case it is understandable. Most people speak english

Is this true?  I've only ever met one Swiss so I can't really say, but I always figured their English ability correlated with their ethnicity.  I.e., German, pretty good, French and Italian, crappy.

I've been to Switzerland a couple times. Mostly the German side. In Zurich it seems most people speak english. The countryside not as much. I assume since Tyr is loath to leave a city, it would be like Zurich, but maybe not.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Me and French:
1: I was promised French classes by my company which never arose. Swiss prices and closing times stopped my efforts to find my own.
2: French is unnecessary at work. Only one or two locals working there with the majority being non French speaking foreigners.
3: work is hard. Its not like I'm teaching English. I have to actually learn practical stuff.
4: every year here is meant to be my last. When I first came I kept at studying Japanese as I was planning to go back.
5: French is hard. There is zero encouragement from moningual francophones for beginners to try. It's either get the pronunciation utterly perfect or GTFO.
If that's how you feel then I don't need your smelly language anyway. 
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2018, 10:35:37 PM

The Germans are better than the French for sure.
I've never been to the Italian part but from what I gather having met people from there they're perhaps best or all.
As said Italian is often ignored so to survive in their own country they usually have to learn German, which sets them on the right path for English.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Yeah, French is hard yet you study Japanese.

garbon

Also the pronunciation thing sounds like the steroeotypical thing an English speaking person would say about French speakers. Is there something about French speakers that is so different that they don't appreciate people trying to learn their language?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

If I were to believe our resident Little Englander, the Romands are more (assertive about) French than the French themselves.  :lol:
Mon(ol)ingual Romands? Do you live in the Romand hinterland?  :lol: All Romands study (standard) German at school, though it may be forgotten just after.
More on that later.
Maybe they're not as good as Francophone Luxemburgers, but better than the French but Romands speak slower on average than other Francophones.
Of course, their dialect has some Germanic influences in vocabulary but that should help you (poutzer from putzen).
It's more logical sometimes cf. septante or nonante, vs soixante-dix or quatre-vingts-dix.  :P

Wait until Tyr discovers the strong differences at times between German Swiss and Standard German, specially for a foreigner.  :D
Of course, Standard German is the dialect taught at school in Romand Switzerland, not German Swiss, adding another layer of complication. ;)

PS: some typos fixed

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 02, 2018, 06:33:02 AM
Also the pronunciation thing sounds like the steroeotypical thing an English speaking person would say about French speakers. Is there something about French speakers that is so different that they don't appreciate people trying to learn their language?

That was my experience.

I read an article one time by a French author explaining it's a function of the way they themselves learn French: lots of negative reinforcement and shaming for mistakes.  Then they project that on to foreigners who try.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2018, 09:16:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 02, 2018, 06:33:02 AM

That was my experience.

I read an article one time by a French author explaining it's a function of the way they themselves learn French: lots of negative reinforcement and shaming for mistakes.  Then they project that on to foreigners who try.

Many moons ago when I was in France I found the dismissive thing of people trying to speak their language only happened to me in Paris, and not the south. They also seemed to be much more understanding if I slipped between Portuguese and French rather than English and French.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.