mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 01, 2018, 08:24:15 AM
Did Mongers quit posting while I wasn't looking?  :hmm:

:blink:

Besides come the Spring I'm outta here.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

ulmont

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 01, 2018, 06:42:56 AM
I learned a fun fact just now. The guy who did the Portlandia theme is from an even hipper town- Athens, Georgia.  :P

Before I look it up - it was one of the REM members, right? I want to say Peter Buck?

...nope, not at all; it's Ernest Greene Jr..  Got confused by the Peter Buck - Corin Tucker (Sleater-Kinney) collaboration: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/sleater-kinney-rem-supergroup-filthy-friends-unveil-new-album-w487831

Josquius

I finally took the plunge and bought myself a DSLR. A entry level nikkon.
Open the book and there are 3 bulky manuals. French, German and Italian.
Ah.
:bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on February 01, 2018, 12:59:52 PM
Ah.

I blame brexit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Who would think that a product bought in Switzerland would have manuals in French, German and Italian. Outrageous.

garbon

Seems like they'd be better served with just a small mini-manual with some details in all 3 languages and then web link to the full manual for download in language of your choice.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

As usual the small language gets shafted.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Ah.

That shouldn't be a problem for somebody who has lived in Switzerland as long as you have. Right? :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on February 01, 2018, 01:07:49 PM
Who would think that a product bought in Switzerland would have manuals in French, German and Italian. Outrageous.

Yes, it is! No Romanche version!  :mad:

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2018, 01:13:55 PM
Ah.

That shouldn't be a problem for somebody who has lived in Switzerland as long as you have. Right? :P

Languish seems to have a weird plethora of people who want to live in foreign countries but not learn the local languages. It's bizarre. If I chose to live in a non-English-speaking country for any appreciable amount of time, I'd be ashamed not to be learning a local tongue.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on February 01, 2018, 01:36:19 PM
Ah.

Languish seems to have a weird plethora of people who want to live in foreign countries but not learn the local languages. It's bizarre. If I chose to live in a non-English-speaking country for any appreciable amount of time, I'd be ashamed not to be learning a local tongue.

Not only that but seems like it would be rather limiting. Sure you could have friends who speak English who were locals but presumably they would like to sometimes switch to their native tongue when hanging out in larger groups.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Who are you thinking of besides Tyr? :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on February 01, 2018, 01:40:25 PM
Ah.

Not only that but seems like it would be rather limiting. Sure you could have friends who speak English who were locals but presumably they would like to sometimes switch to their native tongue when hanging out in larger groups.

OK Madonna.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Ah.

I almost always hesitate a second before throwing those out, thinking, "what if I learn French at some point"?  But I also have a bad habit of hoarding user manuals and packaging when I get a new gadget.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

QuoteWho would think that a product bought in Switzerland would have manuals in French, German and Italian. Outrageous.
Never encountered it before.
Usually there's just a small manual with German and French (the Italians are always ignored) and usually with electronics English too.

QuoteNot only that but seems like it would be rather limiting. Sure you could have friends who speak English who were locals but presumably they would like to sometimes switch to their native tongue when hanging out in larger groups.

Something like 50% of the population here are foreign born.
25% or so prefer English to French.
But yes. It is annoying. A big thing factor in pushing me away.

Quote from: derspiess on February 01, 2018, 01:49:08 PM
Ah.

I almost always hesitate a second before throwing those out, thinking, "what if I learn French at some point"?  But I also have a bad habit of hoarding user manuals and packaging when I get a new gadget.

Well, worst comes to worst I can decipher the French one. But for general use I shall have to find a pdf version.
██████
██████
██████