And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 26, 2018, 11:55:45 AM
70 % off, and off to riot.  :D

[spoiler]I have not had nutella since I was a kid. Don't like it anymore.[/spoiler]

I have it maybe once a month, but my kids love it.  And of course their friends & cousins all know we have it, so they ask for it all the time when they're at our house.  That's probably how most of it vanishes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

I still love nutella. I started making my own, it's much more expensive that way but then it tastes better and isn't like 70% palm oil.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: derspiess on January 26, 2018, 12:19:26 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 26, 2018, 11:55:45 AM
70 % off, and off to riot.  :D

[spoiler]I have not had nutella since I was a kid. Don't like it anymore.[/spoiler]

I have it maybe once a month, but my kids love it.  And of course their friends & cousins all know we have it, so they ask for it all the time when they're at our house.  That's probably how most of it vanishes.

No love for dulce de leche at the despiess'?

Eddie Teach

I've had that stuff at Taco Cabana. Tasty.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Liep on January 26, 2018, 08:17:05 AM
Frenchmen amok over cheap Nutella:

https://twitter.com/kennyLebon/status/956481551621066753

The by-line on CNN.com read "It was like an orgy;" and I thought "Nutella orgy sounds like the premise for an Italian film."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on January 26, 2018, 07:03:45 AM
When did they introduce an official spoken language?

1932 - reconfirmed by the CCP in 1949 (which is the vote I was referring to).

QuoteI was really under the impression with China that only the written language was standardised until pretty recent times.

That's my impression too. There's significant pressure in places like Shanghai and Chengdu for people to adopt putonghua in favour of the local language.

Valmy

So why did we pick 'Mandarin' for this language if the word is 'Putonghua'? That sounds nothing alike.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2018, 01:55:45 PM
So why did we pick 'Mandarin' for this language if the word is 'Putonghua'? That sounds nothing alike.

Mandarin is a word for "government official".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 26, 2018, 01:58:09 PM

Mandarin is a word for "government official".

So I guess a take on 'the government language'. That is accurate I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

"Mandarin" = the language of Ming/Ching officials, or "mandarins" (a Portuguese term: the Chinese was Guānhuà, or "Official's speech", because it was used as a standard among officials; it's a combo of various regional northern dialects).

"Putonghua" =  "Common speech"

You can probably work out why the present-day Chinese government prefers the latter to the former.  :lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on January 26, 2018, 12:31:05 PM
No love for dulce de leche at the despiess'?

Fo sho.  But we have to drive across town to get the authentic stuff, plus the kids are slow to take to it.  My son likes it okay, but the daughter (reigning queen of contradictions in food preferences), says "it looks like poop" and won't try it.  Plus the shelf life is limited, so we don't keep it around 100% of the time like we do peanut butter, nutella, etc.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: Liep on January 26, 2018, 12:24:36 PM
I still love nutella. I started making my own, it's much more expensive that way but then it tastes better and isn't like 70% palm oil.

:cool:

Good man.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

How good is Nutella? I've never watched her show.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on January 26, 2018, 01:08:21 PM

The by-line on CNN.com read "It was like an orgy;" and I thought "Nutella orgy sounds like the premise for an Italian film."

Marco Ferreri strongly disagrees with you. Nutella is hardly enough.  :rolleyes:

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 26, 2018, 03:10:00 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on January 26, 2018, 01:08:21 PM

Marco Ferreri strongly disagrees with you. Nutella is hardly enough.  :rolleyes:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"