And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2018, 01:43:59 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 01, 2018, 01:36:19 PM
Languish seems to have a weird plethora of people who want to live in foreign countries but not learn the local languages. It's bizarre. If I chose to live in a non-English-speaking country for any appreciable amount of time, I'd be ashamed not to be learning a local tongue.

Who are you thinking of besides Tyr? :hmm:

Tim has, by his own admission, learned very little Korean despite living in South Korea for years.

Spellus doesn't post much here any longer, but judging by his FB posts, he is actually learning quite a bit of Georgian, in contrast.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on February 01, 2018, 01:59:27 PM
Languish seems to have a weird plethora of people who want to live in foreign countries but not learn the local languages. It's bizarre. If I chose to live in a non-English-speaking country for any appreciable amount of time, I'd be ashamed not to be learning a local tongue.

Tim has, by his own admission, learned very little Korean despite living in South Korea for years.

Spellus doesn't post much here any longer, but judging by his FB posts, he is actually learning quite a bit of Georgian, in contrast.

Ah yes, Tim.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

In his defense, Korean is hard.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Also, my Spanish is poor and Valmys probably worse.

Habbaku

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 01, 2018, 02:26:04 PM

Did you move to a Spanish-speaking country?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Barrister

Baby Joshie is now registered for kindergarten in the fall. :cry:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on February 01, 2018, 02:34:47 PM

Did you move to a Spanish-speaking country?

Tejas

Valmy

I don't live in San Antonio. It would probably be more useful for me to learn Urdu or Hindi where I live.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Unlikely. Your city is 35% Hispanic per census.

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 01, 2018, 03:05:34 PM

But how many of them are sugared?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 01, 2018, 03:05:34 PM

Very likely. Ethnicity and race does not equal culture. Where I live it is more like 20% and they speak Spanish about as well as Jaron. I have never had a good opportunity for immersion.

I don't even understand the point you are making. Even if you were in some area where everybody spoke Spanish all the time you haven't lived there that long.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on February 01, 2018, 01:59:27 PM

I think Spellus has started a relationship with Georgia so he can stalk his old flame Russia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I thought his old flame was Armenia.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2018, 01:13:55 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 01, 2018, 12:59:52 PM
I finally took the plunge and bought myself a DSLR. A entry level nikkon.
Open the book and there are 3 bulky manuals. French, German and Italian.
Ah.
:bleeding:

That shouldn't be a problem for somebody who has lived in Switzerland as long as you have. Right? :P

Josq, from what I remember, did learn Japanese when he lived in Japan.  His refusal to learn French is just one of his eccentricities.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock