Josquius

Surprising China would bother with official languages
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on January 25, 2018, 03:25:33 AM

Why?  China has always been big, covering lots of people who speak many different languages and dialects.  The need for one or more common, official language has been an issue since ancient times. 

The Brain

I heard rumors that there's some weirdo in the UK called Cathy Newman. What's up with that?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on January 25, 2018, 04:22:59 AM
I heard rumors that there's some weirdo in the UK called Cathy Newman. What's up with that?

:blink:

Just a somewhat strident tv news journalist on Channel 4 news, has she done anything newsworthy?

edit:
I checked, apparently there are some nutters on the web targeting here because of an interview she conducted with weirdo psychologist.  I actually saw the interview and thought it quite fun, the two of them seemed to enjoy it, guess you have to expect keyboard Jihadi-males to go bonkers over everything.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Never heard of her, but apparently this is a culture war thing.  Yay.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on January 25, 2018, 03:49:50 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 25, 2018, 03:25:33 AM

Why?  China has always been big, covering lots of people who speak many different languages and dialects.  The need for one or more common, official language has been an issue since ancient times. 
Written Chinese was that language no?
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 25, 2018, 11:43:56 AM
Never heard of her

I would bet the number of local news reporters in the UK known to us would be pretty low.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2018, 02:00:52 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 25, 2018, 11:43:56 AM
Never heard of her

I would bet the number of local news reporters in the UK known to us would be pretty low.

Dan Walker might be the only UK 'news' reporter that I know by name.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

Quote from: Monoriu on January 24, 2018, 08:18:33 PM
Quote from: Camerus on January 24, 2018, 08:12:35 PM
I heard today that the Qing dynasty had 5 official languages. That included Mandarin and Manchurian of course,  but also Mongolian, Tibetan and Uighur. Qianlong was fluent in all 5.

Never heard of Uighur being an official Qing language.  But I am not surprised about Tibetan and Mongolian.  The Qing nobility and dynasty supported Tibetan Buddhism, so they learned it for religious reasons.  The Manchus and Mongolians had a long history of inter-marriage, so a lot of Qing princes had Mongolian mothers.

I suppose the question also is what the bar was to constitute an official language back then and in whose eyes.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on January 25, 2018, 09:34:17 AM

Just a somewhat strident tv news journalist on Channel 4 news, has she done anything newsworthy?

edit:
I checked, apparently there are some nutters on the web targeting here because of an interview she conducted with weirdo psychologist.  I actually saw the interview and thought it quite fun, the two of them seemed to enjoy it, guess you have to expect keyboard Jihadi-males to go bonkers over everything.

I think the Times and Telegraph also ran hit pieces on her related to the interview. Started reading the one in the Times which started going on about biological reasons men and women will always be at odds and that an issue with the new position of the loneliness minister is that it'll turn men off if the focus is on talking it out - a most feminine solution to problems...so naturally I stopped wasting my time on that article. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2018, 03:30:44 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 25, 2018, 09:34:17 AM

edit:

I think the Times and Telegraph also ran hit pieces on her related to the interview. Started reading the one in the Times which started going on about biological reasons men and women will always be at odds

Odd you'd think they'd stand up for the right of their fellow journalists to hold differing view, instead of whipping up and throwing them to the baying crowds.   <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

I think the Times and Telegraph also ran hit pieces on her related to the interview. Started reading the one in the Times which started going on about biological reasons men and women will always be at odds

So there is hope all men can get along with each other?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2018, 04:00:54 PM

Men get along.  Might have a fistfight one day, but be best buds again the next.  Women, however...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

Quote from: derspiess on January 25, 2018, 04:36:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2018, 04:00:54 PM

Men get along.  Might have a fistfight one day, but be best buds again the next. 

Yeah, that doesn't sound dysfunctional at all.  :lol: